Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #21

Re: Offline GPS Maps

I discovered that GPSkit will work on my iPod so I bought it. It has a small screen but is adequate if you have some sense of the area you are in. You can download maps from a selection they offer as part of the package. Then you can have access to them off line. I have yet to figure out how to download maps that are not on their list, such as USGS topos. I have sent them an email but am still waiting for a reply.

Otherwise the package seems pretty comprehensive and fairly simple to learn. Using the Google topos seems to offer the best resolution and detail of the options I have tried. It's not quite as good as the USGS topos I have downloaded but does have contours and most features. I will know more about it's overall utility hopefully when, not if, they answer my query.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Not a map, but an interesting app: http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/index.html. May have to spring for it.
I use that, and along the same lines (ha), Theodolite.

Very much better than many of the regular compass apps.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Not a map, but an interesting app: http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/index.html. May have to spring for it.
I use that, and along the same lines (ha), Theodolite.

Very much better than many of the regular compass apps.
Did you survey the market before choosing it?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #24

Here is another outstanding map app that is free, and gives you the ability to load free topos, park maps, your own PDF maps, nautical charts, nat geo maps etc has up till now only been available on IOS but now they have an android beta. I'm a cartographer and with this app: Avenza PDF. http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps
You don't need cell coverage it will give you a blue dot for your location and you can email and upload maps, IMO files or load from Dropbox. Take any geo. referenced( any PDF that has coordinate system embedded in it) Map with you!
plus with GPS kit, another great ap you are set!
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but check out this NY Times piece on stargazing apps: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/techn ... 30228&_r=0

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

This was a big thing two years ago. The rangers brought up about 100 people out of Yosemite Valley and along with those who drove up to Glacier Point and it was strange to see so many people with these type apps holding their phones up to something in the sky that I had my scope trained on. Unfortunately it takes away a little from what you look at through the scope. I had several say things like "how come it doesn't look like this" blinding me with a Hubble picture The worst is when some kid asks a question that I can't answer without a book in front of me and he just read the stats on the object on his phone! I don't have the time to bring up data on my drive controller with a line of people waiting to look through the scope and no, I can't remember how many light years NGC 4565 is away. But having the info sure makes it nice if you have an assistant there to read the same thing the kid just did The one kid walked off with his tail between his legs but went to the next scopw owner and did the same thing. It's was an amazing turn in time...all of the smart phones all of a sudden just in one year. Some of the apps hold a wealth of information and are a great tool. Now if they would put a green laser pointer in the phone...well maybe not.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Knowledge vs. information. :-(

The expensive version can drive your telescope, they say. Still, I'll remain a dilettante since I can't stay up that late in summer when it's warm and it's too cold in winter. Ever been to an observatory and noticed how quiet they are during the day?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage

You know my PC runs my cameras and the scopes if I need it to plus all the blue tooth stuff helps to get rid of some of the cables. I'm sure the smart phones can do the same but being a flip phone person, I'm still stuck in the past and haven't followed up on the techy end of it. Computer and smart phones are nice and have a place but an issue of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada’s Observer’s Handbook is also nice to have.

Same with Maps. Even with my PC loaded with topo maps and GPS tracking, I still like a good paper forest service map if I can find it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #29

Offline GPS Maps

Daveb

Smart phones are good for augmenting the naked eye view and information at your fingertips. But for the the detail you need a scope which can make the view much more interesting. For example, full moon with the eye = so so. Full moon with a big scope = way cool.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #30

I want to thank 4x4kayaker for the tip on Avenza's product; I really like it. Aside from all the available maps (some free, some at a cost), it allows you to customize data fields. So you could add a data field to a campground POI for cost, or features available, or whatever.

Not surprising, since it's by the folks that make Illustrator plugins for cartography and such.

And they have free, already georeferenced NPS official park maps for places like Death Valley. The coverage is a bit odd; for example they have some very detailed maps for free of Anza but not the whole state park. And they have BLM surface maps for $3, at least for CA. Pretty nice.

And maybe Mr. 4x4kayaker could point me to a site or app that I could use to georeference downloaded PDFs or TIFFS....

Rob