Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #21

Re: On my third pair of house batteries in 9 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I would hope to see around 14. to 14.4VDC (at the battery, not the alternator)
He's getting 14.0 at the house battery when engine is running - so the separator is doing it's job.. Not great, but should be sufficient.

Quote:
batteries that are deeply discharged (beyond 50% of rated capacity) will also contribute to premature death
It's possible this happened on the first set he had for 8 months, but not the last two sets.
I agree that in this case the batteries appear to be junk, but you always want to look at your charging systems to make sure you are getting everything out of it. I think you can purchase a charge wizard for a existing unit, for about $25.00 to $30.00. I know they also cost money but, a good Battery Monitor (Amp hour counter) helps with these kind of issues.

-greg
I thought the charge wizard was only for the 9200 series. Guess I was wrong. Progressive Dynamics just emailed me back about it.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
I thought the charge wizard was only for the 9200 series. Guess I was wrong. Progressive Dynamics just emailed me back about it.
Yeah, seems worth the $25, but still doesn't solve your problem, as the 14v from the alternator isn't charging your batteries either.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #23

Yep, I'll buy one after I get all this figured out. Gonna put a full charge on both batteries and have them load tested on Friday. Aside from testing the isolator, everything in the van appears to be functioning normally. If I get replacement batteries again, I'll have them load test them before I leave with them.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #24

just had the house battery replaced. microwave would only go for 10 seconds, big problems. now it goes for 5 to 10 min all day, no problems
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Yeah, seems worth the $25, but still doesn't solve your problem, as the 14v from the alternator isn't charging your batteries either.
14v at the battery is enough to bring them to full charge assuming a long enough charge period to reach full charge. It's easy to be fooled though as a bad battery can reach a full charge voltage quickly, but have no reserve capacity. It's hard to believe you got two different sets of bad batteries in a row, but I had a similar experience with my Innerstate u2400's. Within 7 or 8 months a couple went bad and then affected the entire 12 battery bank. Sadly, they were only warrantied for 6 months. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a higher quality battery since Innerstate seems to have a lot of failures..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
14v at the battery is enough to bring them to full charge assuming a long enough charge period to reach full charge. It's easy to be fooled though as a bad battery can reach a full charge voltage quickly, but have no reserve capacity. It's hard to believe you got two different sets of bad batteries in a row, but I had a similar experience with my Innerstate u2400's. Within 7 or 8 months a couple went bad and then affected the entire 12 battery bank. Sadly, they were only warrantied for 6 months. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a higher quality battery since Innerstate seems to have a lot of failures..........
Did a 10a charge on one last night for six hours, and the other one tonight for six hours. One is reading 12.9 and the other one is reading 12.6. I think one, or both, are crap.

I'm taking them back. If the load test doesn't go well, I'm going to ask for a refund. If that goes South, we'll see what happens. I may try to negotiate for AGMs.

Starter battery is good...great actually. Isolator would be draining the starter battery if it was bad. PD9155 is still charging at 13.5 which is normal. Still charging at 14.0v off the alternator.

Shit, rallypanam had better luck with cheap ass DieHards.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Isolator would be draining the starter battery if it was bad.
Isolator has two diodes, the one could be isolating the starter from the house side, but the other could be shorted and the house battery could be getting used to start. Not horrible, but it could be taking away some charge. Also I would be concerned about possible connection issues (corrosion) that could be limiting your current transfer.
-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Also I would be concerned about possible connection issues (corrosion) that could be limiting your current transfer.
-greg
That is a possibility.. But he still couldn't charge them on his home charger. So the batteries are crap, and it seems they started that way.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Quote:
Isolator would be draining the starter battery if it was bad.
Isolator has two diodes, the one could be isolating the starter from the house side, but the other could be shorted and the house battery could be getting used to start. Not horrible, but it could be taking away some charge. Also I would be concerned about possible connection issues (corrosion) that could be limiting your current transfer.
-greg
That should be easy enough to test using rallypanam's clamp meter. Just put the batteries back in and see if there's any draw while starting the motor yeah?

All the connections look good as far as I can see.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #30

Quote:

Did a 10a charge on one last night for six hours, and the other one tonight for six hours. One is reading 12.9 and the other one is reading 12.6. I think one, or both, are crap.

I'm unclear on how you can draw a conclusion from this........it depends on the state of charge when you start........10 amps for 6 hrs is 60AH worth of charge. If you batteries are 120Ah, or 150Ah, etc. you have put 1/2 (or less) of their capacity back in. When my batteries are fully charged they usually read about 12.8V.........

Prior to this test, were the two batteries connected together? e.g. can we assume that they started charging at the same state of charge?

I have a Progressive Dynamics charger and the whole charge wizard thing annoys me to no end......we'll sell you a basic charger that will cook your batteries but for only $25 more you can make it a smart charger-WTF?...just put the $2.00 worth of smarts in the charger and have happier customers.-rant over....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote