Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Opinion on this flexible solar panel?

I have the chance to buy a few used flexible 100w solar panels at a decent price. I can't find too much info online on these related to using in an RV setup. Has anyone here used these, or have an opinion? I'd be mounting on my PH top, so the lighter weight of these is attractive. The specs are below.

Also, is there an easy way to check if they are functioning correctly? Put them in the sun and measure voltage output? If so, what should I be reading from the panel in average light? Thanks for any insight!

100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel | HQST Solar

manufacturer: HGST

ASIN: B018BMGTTO

model #: HQST-100D

Specs:

Specifications
Maximum Power: 100W
Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.9V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.29A
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.5V
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.75A
Dimensions: 47 X 21.3 X 1.4 In
Weight: 16.5lbs

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

It looks like pretty standard specs for a 100 watt but it is out of stock, in case you didn't notice.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
It looks like pretty standard specs for a 100 watt but it is out of stock, in case you didn't notice.
Yes, thanks. Somebody locally is selling them, sorta NOS (still in the package).

Looking on Ebay, other HGST panels seem to be identical to what Renogy offers (same specs, even same photos). So I'm wondering if these are the same as the flexible panels that Renogy stopped selling recently?

Renogy 100 watt flexible problem – svHotWire
Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Team

I originally had two flexible solar panels installed on my SMB. They were supported along two edges by the roof rail tracks installed on my penthouse. After a few years they failed, and I think it had everything to do with the flexing of the panels in the wind.

If you buy flexible panels, I would only install them if they are flush with the roof and cannot flex.

Herb
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I wouldn't do flexible for the same reasons, they don't seem to hold up as well, cells fail and then you're back spending mo' money. The Renogy panels look pretty nice, have a small footprint and look to be pretty efficient. Unless something better comes along, I may be swapping out my single 135W Kyocera for 2-100W Renogy panels that take up the same footprint, more or less.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

Thanks all. I think I'll just spend a few bucks more and get the Renogy rigid panels, 2 x 100w. Bummed I missed out on the great Zamp Solar panel deals at Lowes, but I did pick up a Zamp controller and wiring kit for $73, so at least I have a start!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Garage
My SMB is from the same era as Herb's. Looks like we both had those flexible Solara panels. Mine delaminated a few years ago and I replaced them with two 100w mono panels. Solaras were $1800 and the new ones were $250.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Garage
not that im really ready for solar at this point, but I have been waiting for any good news regarding the flexible panels. having an aero shaped top I was hoping to be able to use these or something similar, but there is zero positive feedback anywhere about longevity regarding these flexible panels
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #9

Here is a thread started by GCVT a while back regarding the Renogy flexible panels. Seems they stopped selling them due to a high failure rate. Not sure if they're the same panels (made by same manufacturer), but something to consider.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ket-16568.html
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

I've got some info on a newer panel that is on Amazon. I snapped some pics somewhere. Once I get the name and find the pics I'll start a separate thread to help folks out. You can still get Renogy's but there is another popular one on Amazon now, even cheaper than Renogy.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote