Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
My Aunt (refined, cultured, Seattleite, complete opposite of my family) came to Indiana a few years ago and after taking her to dinner we hit the local Wal-mart.

When we walked through the front doors and it turned out not to be a 3rd world country with gang shootings on asile 331, my aunt looked around and said, "This isn't too bad."

We were all agast- Wal-marts had been around for 20 some years and prolific for at least the former 13, yet the woman had never been in a Wal-mart. It turns out she expected it to be some kind of pig-sty ghetto sweat shop and wouldn't have been caught dead in one until we took here there.
Yea I do feel pretty dumb when I see something for almost half the price at Wal-mart as compared to some of the big named stores I shop at. Not like they sell out dated pine products or something. Jeremiah when I was in your neck of the woods my buddy took me to a super wal-mart and I was surprised. Vedgetables seemed good and I got out of there without rapeing my wallet. I just bought a nice Nikon as a backup camera after heading off to the hills with mine sitting at home. It was cheaper than Circuit City, not saying I couldn't look for a better deal but I was in a hurry. I surely did not mean to degrade anyone who shops there...it was a joke.

Greggde, I'm also wondering what your awning upgrade is.

dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Greg, I purchased an Acu-Rite wireless setup from the link Craig listed last year (http://www.weatherconnect.com/mfgstore. ... te0&cat=18). It has been in use since September 2007. Still on the same, original set of batteries and no issues with communication. The specific one I purchased is no longer listed on the site, though it was one of the less expensive ones.
UH OH.... it is Acurite that Wally World sells, and it is the Acu-Rite 00782 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer that has given us so much trouble.

What model do you have?

AND I think it is Acurite that makes the Realistic/Radioshack models as well.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #23

For those of you that have the ScanGuage, it has a feature that monitors the intake air temperature (fIA). It's pretty accurate when you have been moving at least 30mph for a few minutes and seems quite accurate first thing in the morning before the engine is started. If you are stopped in traffic on a hot day, it can be kind of scary. I have seen close to 150 degrees displayed.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #24

Along the same lines ... sort of.... we've used this wireless fridge thermometer from Two Zone. Works perfect and will monitor outside (its portable) ambient temps no matter where you place the unit, while still monitoring your fridge temp.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... tail&p=369
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #25

Fiamma Accessory's

Buji,
The accessory's from Fiamma that I am so pleased about are the
#1 Magic Rafter
#2 The Rafter Pro
#3 The Tie Down Kit
I have been experimenting with various after market RV Securement item's and found that Fiamma's are the best way to go . I am now trying to come up with an easy ground securement for , rocky soil ,
soft sand , and pavement as I really enjoy being able to use the awning .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
UH OH.... it is Acurite that Wally World sells, and it is the Acu-Rite 00782 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer that has given us so much trouble.

What model do you have?

AND I think it is Acurite that makes the Realistic/Radioshack models as well.

Greg - I have the 00754. It is the one pictured here (00754 on WeatherConnect.com), except the remote transmitter also has a small lcd on the front displaying the temperature.

In regards to the Fiamma awning accessories, I recently purchased the tie down kit, although I haven't had a chance to use it yet. That will probably change on our upcoming trip to Oregon & Washington. I'll take a couple pictures of it then.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #27

Fiamma Accessory's

sdwindandsea
The Magic Rafter would rank right along with the Tie Down Kit in keeping the Fiamma stable in high wind's as it brace's the extension arms and lock's them in solid , preventing the billowing effect that would turn the awning into an horizontal Spinnaker and it is all a very quick install and stores nicely in our EB-50 . The Rafter Pro will give the awning more utility in inclement weather , as it provides a nice arch in the material preventing the flapping that occurred earlier in the two previous test outing's .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Remember when I was having those thermometer problems?

I went through two small indoor outdoor thermometers and they ate batteries?

Well, I went back to Wally World and got a different model.

Accurite 00604RX

....and we have not had a problem since then. It has been at least a couple of months, with no battery replacements (knock on wood) and things are working fine.

It is 52 degrees outside McBeast right now as it sits at the Tailgate party for an early kick game.....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #29

We have a SMB built-in outside temperature gauge in the rear view mirror which is perfect for driving. I've had a couple of thermometers for keeping track of the temperature in the frig but the buttons on the last one didn't work well. We now have this one:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/p ... =5&pid=638

The display is large and the channel button works reliably. We have two remote sensors, one in the frig and one outside...the latter is nice since we can check the outside temperature without opening a door in the morning (we have a programmable thermostat on our SMB heater and have it set so that the van is warm by the time we get out of bed, hence it can be much colder outside than it seems). The unit also tracks minimum and maximum temperatures which is valuable for the frig and fun when it is cold outside. While it has the "freezing" alarm, it can be turned off. Battery life is fine...the batteries in the remote sensor in the frig are the first to go but they have been okay.

BTW, I did some research a few months ago and the proper temperature for a refrigerator is 38 degrees...you can run is colder but it will take more electricity but you also don't want it to get a lot warmer than that. We used to keep the frig much colder than that but continually froze the lettuce.

We have this thermometer mounted on the storage shelf behind the driver's head where my wife can see it from the passenger seat...this makes it easy to keep track of the refrigerator temperature while driving...important after adding stuff to the frig...