Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

Re: Outstanding way to travel with headset

Well..... guess what... I got busted the other day... for driving down the road with the DC headsets on... but, the cop was nice... and he only gave me a warning... I still wonder how good his eyesight is... as they must have something we others don't... and can tell if you have a pimple on your nose while going the other way at 60mph... kinda thing...

Anyway... he said that "his interp of the law "... if you have both ear phones .. even though you only have one covered.. you "could" be wrong.. or precieved as being wrong... and thus the stop... which then they could inpsect your vehicle.. etc... bad JU JU... as we all know.

So his answer... (surprise was... as he also was a ham radio op)... that I contact DC and get the adapter that takes one earphone off... and replaces it with a temple pad... i.e it removed one of the ear pieces.. and replaces it with a pad that doesn't have it... sure enough I checked with DC and they said.. yep you can adapt it for a meer 19 bux... and got one coming... of course he also said to save the earphone.. and put it away.. as you can always convert it back...

Here is the site where you can see the single earphone and temple pad..
http://www.davidclark.com/PartsLists/Pa ... =40608G-01

so with the right side earpiece removed... yep your going to hear the other half whin'n.. but on the left side.. you can have the window down and still use that ear to hear the radio... which then makes you a law bide'n driver in Calif.. and other states..

Oh and the ticket for using the headphones over both ears... a whopp'n 271 bux... ouch...

So the DC sets are still the best... as I use the 10-40's that I got used... where as some of the others don't cover the whole ear and yep.. lots of background noise manages to get it.. besides they seem cheap...cheap... (sorry heil)

Also while your getting the temple pad adapter.. get the gell earpiece cover... as well as the cloth cover to go over that... much better idea.. especally if your off in the hot country... as the cloth earpiece cover.. can be taken off.. and washed... put back on... and no bugs.. grin

Hope this helps...

GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Site Team

And here is a synopsis of the law for each state:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #13

In Alaska it is agianst the Law to wear headphones while driving. If it a "navigational aid" it is okay so you should be okay if it is linked to your gps. As for Motorcycles it is open to the LEO. As a Instructor for over 25 years and having many riding buddies that are LEO's I have asked many times and was told that most read it to mean that speakers installed in the helmet are okay but ear buds are not. Speakers installed are like speakers in a car. As they are not "in the ear" they do not meet the law. This does not mean that you won't get a ticket on a bike. It just means that it is up to the LEO. If "Off HWY" it should be okay.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

Wonder if you didn't call them headphones... would they exempt 'em... after all how many cops are out run'n the roads in AK... too.. grin

and the word headphones... doesn't apply to a single headphone or ear piece... (splitting hairs.. grin)
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #15

Thoughts:
I always tint my windows, usually as dark as is legal. I do this for safety and privacy. I wear a bluetooth only to answer the phone, I seldom initiate calls while driving, and I certainly don't talk with a phone up to my ear, but everyone else seems to. Huge distraction, bad idea.
I wear earbuds occasionally on the interstate, but usually just at night. I wouldn't think it wise to show everyone what's going on in my car in the daytime, or really anytime. The only reason I do this is because kids are sleeping or I'm listening to an audiobook or talk radio with adult language.
I see a whole lot more stupid things being done in cars around me than headsets/earbuds being worn, but when I see a teenager or young driver on the phone OR with headset/earbuds on, I pay special attention to them and keep my distance. Yes, even though I do it. I don't consider myself a better driver than others, even though I drive professionally for a living, I just think you have to find a balance between using them to keep alert and letting yourself be distracted by them.
I'll see how important my opinion is to a trooper if I'm ever pulled over for it I guess.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Site Team

A couple of years ago I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol in Utah because of my tinted windows. Because we live in the hot desert in Las Vegas, tinted windows are a must here. But, apparently, they are illegal in Utah. The LEO told me I couldn't have tinted windows on my car. I asked how he propose I remove them there on the highway. He said he would only give me a warning ticket. I thought of protesting that, but then decided to keep my mouth shut and not provoke the guy. I guess the guy was bored because I can't fathom that Utah expects out of state vehicles to abide by their unique laws. If so, no one from Arizona could drive in Utah because Utah requires a front license plate and Arizona does not.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #17

Hi;

I believe most states and provinces have reciprocal agreements for issues like front plates and tinting. Here the other jurisdictions are listed in the provincial Highway Traffic Act.

That said I am not willing to get into an argument with an LEO that has likely never travelled out of his county let alone his state.

This all stems from an incident 30 years ago where a large, young Canadian man in a loud Mopar was told to get out of his car, through the window, at gun point in small town Ohio.

No amount of referring to his copy of the HTA showing reciprocity with Ohio would excuse the local constabulary of believing that yellow headlights were legal on an Ontario car in Ohio.

It also didn't matter that yellow headlights were legal in nearby Illinois either.

Since then I just shut up, apologize, and get on my way. I'm sure that was what worked so well for you with the window tint.

Regards,

Gavin