Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacks View Post
...I also take comfort in the Costco return policy

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #42

Garage
For those interested in the XP10, Antigravity, the manufacturer, is still offering 20% off (use the Christmas code on this page). Comes down to the same price as Amazon. But, like Broncohauler, I've read too much about fake copies. Made up or not, for the same price, I'll take the real McCoy. Shipping for me was less than ten bucks.

I've sure looked at the others, but none seem to have the guaranteed power or reliability/ease this does, as far as I can tell. Having sat in a hot parking lot for two hours last summer waiting for a jump, I'm a prime target for this solution. And if I meet any of you diesel folks sitting by the side of the road, it'll come in handy.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co.../micro-starts/

I have wondered... does anybody imagine bad things happening with this thing sitting in a hot summer van? I'm thinking lithium, 100+ degrees...??
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacks View Post
Any thoughts or experiences with this one... Winplus Lithium Jump Starter/Power Bank. Seems comparable to the XP-3. No need to fire up larger engines than my 4.6

I also take comfort in the Costco return policy
I haven't used that one but by the numbers it has lower mah than the one I got and lower starting Amps as well so it would probably be ok for smaller cars not sure how it would do on large engines.
The Costco policy is nice though but I havent had issues with Amazon
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

I have wondered... does anybody imagine bad things happening with this thing sitting in a hot summer van? I'm thinking lithium, 100+ degrees...??
XP-10 arrived today. Good looking kit. Technical answer to above in the users manual:

"Do not leave the product in, or expose product to extremely high temperatures such as on dashboards or other extremely hot areas above 70C (158F). Do not charge frozen batteries, charge only between 0C (32F) and 40C (104F). Do not store in locations where the temperature may exceed 70C (158F)."

Someday, I'm going to do an experiment and temp test various areas of the van on a hundred degree F day just to see what goes on.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #45

Do you think you would be able to charge these portable batteries with a properly sized inverter in the vehicle while driving?

I have one of the larger Power Packs and want to figure out if it could be plugged into an inverter and charged while driving around.
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandVan View Post
Do you think you would be able to charge these portable batteries with a properly sized inverter in the vehicle while driving?

I have one of the larger Power Packs and want to figure out if it could be plugged into an inverter and charged while driving around.
Unless there's something really unusual about it, I don't see why you couldn't do that if you preferred it to DC charging. The one I just got has a 12vDC charger for the cigarette lighter/DC outlet and an AC wall charger.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Unless there's something really unusual about it, I don't see why you couldn't do that if you preferred it to DC charging. The one I just got has a 12vDC charger for the cigarette lighter/DC outlet and an AC wall charger.
I think so too. I just don't want to go through the process of buying and testing if someone with better info on this messageboard can give a solid reason why it wouldn't work.
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #48
Site Team

20% off is no longer valid, but they have one of their small jump start packs on sale right now at a great price (normally $129.95, but right now it's $60). Not intended for diesels (but I'm going to try it with our 2.0L VW turbo diesel).

Micro-Start XP-3
  • Vehicles with Gas Engine up to 5.7 Liter V8: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, other Powersports Vehicles, Boats, other Watercraft (Not intended for large V-twin motorcycles).
  • 200 Amps starting current – 400A Peak!
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...iginal-design/

Herb
Old 12-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #49
Site Team

Well about 2 1/2 years ago my XP10 had some slight swelling, so I contacted AG and asked about it. They did not recommend continuing to use it and it was out of warranty, but they did offer me a discount on a replacement. So I ended up getting an XP-10 Heavy Duty version. Now I'm looking at another swollen AG jump start pack.

Yes it stays in my Excursion, but the Excursion sits in a garage unless I'm out driving it, and it only gets driven 1-2 times a week. Time to check my other jump start packs.

At this point I'm hesitant to replace it with another AG pack.

Herb
Old 12-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #50

I bought this Audew last month and it easily jumped my 7.3 PSD. No idea about how long it will last but a ton of juice in a small pkg.

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-Pe...AaAvDBEALw_wcB
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote