Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Site Team

Portable solar panel and battery pack

For all you power junkies out there, here's an interesting portable solar panel and battery pack that can extend the power you have available for your computer, phone, blah, blah blah.

Unlike most portable solar panels that you just plug into your vehicle, you also get the portable battery pack meant to be charged with the solar panel, or your vehicle's 12V system while driving, and then it has both 12V and USB outputs to run your other devices. Looks like they have different size solar panels and battery packs. Seems like a neat idea.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/57/Sherp ... e-Kit/1:1/

Herb

Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

Re: Portable solar panel and battery pack

How do you guys feel about the extreme base camp kit?

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/66/Extre ... p-Kit/1:3/

I like the fact that the packs can be charged at home or while driving and the flexibility of adding additional panels and battery packs. You can also set the panels up permanently on the roof of the van or remove them and set them up where its convenient while you're parked in the shade. I don't have a solar system right now but do you think something like this would be a comparable to the systems that all of you have? I'm not planning to go with the full appliance galley in my build maybe a small fridge at most. It'd be mostly for small electronics use like laptops and cell phone charging.

Allen
SMBnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

$2200, how does that stack up to getting a 4D panel and controller built in? I've got everything but the panel, so it wouldn't make sense for me, but it seems like an awful lot of scratch and the LED lanterns would be kitsch but less useful than a Coleman Quad Lantern.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
$2200, how does that stack up to getting a 4D panel and controller built in? I've got everything but the panel, so it wouldn't make sense for me, but it seems like an awful lot of scratch and the LED lanterns would be kitsch but less useful than a Coleman Quad Lantern.
That's why I'm asking the question. I don't have any of the components and I'm too early into ky build that I haven't spent any time researching the cost of a solar system. I found the kit for $1600 on another site.

Allen
SMBnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't think these panels are intended for permanent installation, unless you're talking about installing on your van roof while parked.

I know some people do extended stays in one spot without driving, which is why I posted this thread. Solar panels, no matter fixed or portable, have not seemed to change much in price over the years. Still expensive.

Herb
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #6

Another portable system
http://www.powerenz.com/store/index.php ... ductId=114

Having a port unit would be cool
for $2,000 me thinks it a good idea:
-see what you need it for ( lights tv etc
-determine wattage or amp hours
-determine storage catacity and were the bateries will live
THEN determine if the panels will work and how many watts you need

i am pretty sure that one 150+ watt panel and a 4d will work for most things

the "extreme" kit says 700 watts
but 700 watts of what?
how many watts are the panels?
how many amp hours are the batteries
THEN you cant drain the batteries 100% only 50%
thier specs say "350 watt hours for the battery"
but then 33amp hours
ex: a 4d AGM battery has 200 amp hours
meaing you can only use 100...

i am off to the Salt Mines, someone else can chime in

ps
IMHO anything "portible" you need to store and set up and take down
storage is at a premium
set up and take down things can break or wear out
set and take down cuts into my leasure time
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Having a port unit would be cool
for $2,000 me thinks it a good idea:
-see what you need it for ( lights tv etc
That's part of my point, I don't NEED it for anything, I have a van that's chock full of amp hours and more power ports and outlets than I've ever needed, not to mention a lot better places to drop 2K (Honda Genny?). If I was tent camping and wanted to charge my iPhone, sure, but unless you can jump or charge the van with it it seems excessive to have any kind of portable power... my opinion, but the van is the camping / survival gear, not merely an expensive container to put camping / survival gear in.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

I have a stationary 68W flexable panel on top and purchased a foldable portable 70W panel from Powerenz. With one 4D i can hang out in one place for about a week with good sun. I can also park in the shade and stretch out the 20 ft. cable with the 70W on it in the sun. I'm hhappy, we normally dont stay put for more thn 3/4 days any way.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #9

I've been searching for something small and portable like the folding solar panels that I can charge my battery by plugging into my DC outlet that runs off the battery. I just need enough juice fed to my house battery to keep my fridge running. Anyone have this type of set up?

Thanks,
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
I've been searching for something small and portable like the folding solar panels that I can charge my battery by plugging into my DC outlet that runs off the battery. I just need enough juice fed to my house battery to keep my fridge running. Anyone have this type of set up?

Thanks,
L
I use a power film foldable 5w solar panel to keep my house batteries topped when the van is in storage. Works great. They do have larger sizes that may put out enou power to run the fridge too.

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/

R