Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Power usage of a Nintendo Wii

I'm working on adding electronic entertainment; new batteries, LCD TV, vanputer, and Nitendo Wii. I got excited about adding a wii when I came across this page on console power usage. The gist is that Wiis use only 18W during game play which is 90% less than the other consoles. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm

Wii 17.8W
Xbox 360 185 W
Playstation 3 193W
PC 198W
Attached Thumbnails
Wii power usage.gif  

Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #2

Re: Power usage of a Nintendo Wii

Right, but there is not enough room in the van to bowl!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd guess it's because the Wii doesn't have the graphics requirements (processor and memory) of the other consoles which are hi-res.

Herb
Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #4

Now if there was just a WII game called 'Sportsmobile Adventures' where you got to drive a 4wd camper into some of the most amazing scenery, away from civilization and you could get points for spotting wild animals in their natural settings, finding trails not driven by regular people, discovering sunsets and sunrises over mountains and across lakes, staying at campsites that take your breath away.. Id play that game.. oppss that's right, I have that game and the E250 gaming console I need to go with it.. I think Ill go and play..
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

Good information, but you can forget those spec if you are going to run it 110v. You are wasting a boat-load of power taking the ~12vDC converting to 110AC then back to rectified 12vDC.
If you are going this route, it's not that hard to convert most electronics to run off the van's DC power and save a lot of wasted energy.
Wii takes a rectified 12v 3.7a input, so it requires 45watts at some point (probably boot). Just get a 12v to 12v DC rectifier capable of 4a and plug the Wii into that. Then you really will only be using the minimum watts required.
That's such a low wattage, I bet a tone of people already make them for dirt cheap, probably about the size of a cellphone charger.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Good advice! How about your monitor that your using with your Wii?

I did a similar thing with my 24inch new LED monitor that now uses 12Volts! The old HD monitor was an LCD that used about 6amps@12volts but needed 110volts to power it. You'd be surprised how all the low energy LED monitors are now using 12volts, and has a 110volt to 12volt brick to power it. I just bypassed the brick transformer.

Saved a boat load of power not using 110volt. I'm also using a 12Volt to 12volt transformer that provides cleaned up 12volt.
Now if I could do that with the DirectTVHD DVR that must use 110volts.

I've recently have also started to like my new 12Volt Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Player used with the LED monitor when I have the inverter turned Off..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Yeah you can get the plug for less than $10.
http://www.ecrater.com/p/6325940/car-ch ... i-10300303

I haven't wired it up just stacking things up to go in the SMB. Got to put in:

22" (21.6") Skyworth 12 Volt LCD TV DVD Combo Digital Tuner SLC-2269A
Wii
Intel Atom motherboard Vanputer
7" LCD touchscreen
Wired backup camera

Got to get the vanputer up and running just building it last night.

I thought about doing the LCD monitor trick but didn't have one lying around to use and thought a monitor might not handle low voltages very well verse the skyworth TV.

I'll post once I get everything in. Cheers!