Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Question - adhering flexible solar modules

A slightly different take on a winchline safety thimble.

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Factor-55-Fla ... atlink.htm

Herb

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #12

I'm definitely going the Prolink route, that think is perfect.

Daveb - do you know what glue/adhesive was used on your Solara panels?
pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Deltoro at SMBW should be able to tell you. John Kalmbach is long gone these days I'm guessing. They glued those things down for several years. The glue was good... the panels were poorly made.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

I ended up coming to the feeling that there are many different adhesives that will adequately adhere a Tedlar backed module to the bedlinered roof. Most are silicone based or polyurethane based. I didn't find anything definitive from a bedliner manufacturer but it seems as though it's a pretty easy substrate to adhere to from various bits of empirical evidence gathered online.

I ultimately decided Sika 252, given that it is designed for putting together moving vehicles, and used so extensively in Europe, including for gluing down just about everything on the outside of campers, including solar modules, was the product I had the most faith in.

I glued down about 8" of one of my panels yesterday. More specifically, I degreased the panel back with denatured alcohol, scuffed with 80 grit sandpaper and a sanding block, blew it off with a compressor, wiped it with a tack-clock, then wiped again with denatured alcohol. I blew off the roof (still physically very clean as we only sprayed on the Raptorliner about a week ago), then wiped it well with a lot of denatured alcohol (hard to wipe the bumpy surface). I considered a tack cloth up there but settled for a second pass with the compressor given the non smooth surface. Then I put down a generous 1/2" or so bead of Sika 252 around the edge of the panel and a Z fill pattern in the middle, for about an 8" x 21" adhesion area. I then used a rolled up towel and bodyweight to press down the panel, leaving probably a 2-3mm average adhesive thickness, though not done to NASA specs

Essentially I glued down one end of the panel from it's edge until it was about to hop across one of my roof channels. I left a network of gaps and air channels in the glue pattern so that air and moisture can reach all areas to achieve full cure.

Though the product is one week to full cure, already this morning, I think I might sooner tear a hole in the roof or tear the panel in half than get any corners to release from either the roof or the back of the panel. I stopped my tug testing and putty knife testing for fear of damaging the solar modules.

I'll poke around at it later but unless something looks seriously awry, I'm going to go whole enchilada with the Sika today, and assuming all goes well I will wait a week or so for cure time then use dicor to seal up around the edges and in the channels.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

Panels are glued down, let's hope they don't crap out on me because it will be unpleasant to get them back up Just need to poke a hole in the roof for the cables and finish wiring up a 7622 ACR and I will be in business...

We have some build details on our website - https://birdsofpassage.wordpress.com/birding-mobile/

We will get some more solar/electrical stuff on there soon!

Cheers all,
Josh