Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Radio Problems

I have an 2008 RB50 with a Kenwood DNXS512EX which has worked flawlessly sense I got the van in 2008. Currently the head unit is not turning on. With the power off the flashing red light in the left top corner is lit. When I turn the power button in the back of the van I hear a click up front and the red light on the unit goes out. If I turn the back power button off the flashing light goes bask on. It also works the same when I turn the key on. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Anyone have any ideas.

Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

Is it possible the unit is wired to the house batteries, which are dead. If the separator wasn't working, starting the engine wouldn't help. Just a guess.............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Is it possible the unit is wired to the house batteries, which are dead. If the separator wasn't working, starting the engine wouldn't help. Just a guess.............

That's kinda what I was thinking. If I recall from when I wired my Kenwood (similar model), there is a wire that goes to an "always on" low-draw trickle source that keeps the memory in the unit alive and also lights up the small red "security" light. In my SMB I wired this to an unswitched, always-hot wire from the main van (i.e., wired to the van battery). The radio itself is wired in SMB's funky way through the switch in the back and gets its "main on" power through that. I assume yours is wired similarly. When the stereo is turned on, the "main on" power takes over from the always hot trickle source and the small red security light goes out.

So, first, do lights and whatnot that get their power from your house batteries work? If so, then your house batteries are likely OK and not the issue.

When you say you "turn the switch in the back on," have you tried it on the setting for both the house batteries and the main van battery? (It's a switch with an "off" setting in the middle, a position for the house batteries on one side, and a position for the van battery on the other.) If not, try it "rocked" to both sides to see if one works. The other possible culprit is that this switch is bad. The fact that you hear a click up front and the red light goes off makes me think that maybe some power is getting to the main unit, but not enough to actually power up the full display and operations (although I'm not sure what the culprit would be). Try pulling the rear switch out and checking all the connections for corrosion and tightness. There may also be a relay attached to that circuit; I honestly can't recall offhand. If so, that may have gone bad, too. It's easy to replace if so.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

The van batteries are all good. I do not think it is a lack of power because this goes on while driving the van.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

Check all your ground wiring
Flipperfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
The van batteries are all good. I do not think it is a lack of power because this goes on while driving the van.

I would check your switch then (the SMB-installed one). Or see if there is a relay.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #7

Check out the radio switch diagram at the link below in post #13. My memory was fuzzy, but it does have a relay built into the switch wiring system. Very possible that it is shot. Easy and cheap enough to swap out. (In fact, I carry a few spares in my van just in case.)

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...es-3131-2.html
Old 01-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. The simple answer was to tap the reset button on the head unit.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #9

I have a radio that has, on occasion, failed to power on when I run the van. Lately it doesn't come on at all. It also has power to the unit... the red reset light blinks. I tried utilizing it, like you said worked for you. No luck. I'm going to look in to suggestions about a relay in the wiring system.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Any suggestions for chasing down this phantom are welcome. Additional symptoms are that my radio loses it's presets when I shut off the engine. Yes, very unwelcome, although it connects to my phone via bluetooth without any trouble, so I listen to those play lists.