Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Ranger navigation system

I was looking at this system and it might be kind of cool for us gadget geeks or people who get lost.

http://www.columbusgis.com/index.asp

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #2

So it's a software package for windows mobile devices that has off-road centric features?

I'm a big winmo user and I wonder at the storage this would require, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

I can't find it for sale on any of the typical sites, and their 'demo' doesn't do a lot to feature the actual software.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #3

Here is an interesting GPS software package. Although it only covers Washington State for now.

http://www.spatialminds.com/Default.aspx

The TufTab tablet PC looks like it might be a nice fit for a RAM mount to the dohouse.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #4

GPS

Overland Navigator has Nevada, Arizona and Calif. ( plus Washington )

They are working on Utah... I'am currently using Maptech on my laptop,

great for off-road but no street support... When Utah comes out I'll try

Overland Navigator, or I might try a Lowrance 840c . A rugged laptop for

7000.00 would be nice...

JM
Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #5

GPS

That TufTab looks like it might work well off road, for a lot less than a

Toughbook.

JM
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I like that tuftab look. Is it a standard computer? Plug in Keyboard? At this time I also am running maptech and have so many routes marked that I would need to be able to run the CD's and move the files over. Tuff books are over my limit on what I want to pay for a computer and my Sony seems to be doing fine. If the tuf tab is user friendly I would think about it...sure looks nice. As far as the software, I would want to try it out first. The Ranger software seems similar to what we use at work. I don't like having 12 CD's for a state, and traveling in and out from 1 CD to another is frustrating which makes Maptech difficult to use at times.

Dave B

Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
This is from their web site news:

Investor Information > News
News

12/04/2007

Columbus Announces Development of Revolutionary System for Off-Road Navigation

LAS VEGAS, Dec. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Columbus Geographic Systems (GIS) Ltd. ("Columbus") (Pink Sheets: CGSE - News) today announced the start of development of the world's first comprehensive navigation solution, displaying both urban and off-road maps without the need to move between different software or change memory cards.

Navigation systems are software developed for car computers and PDAs enabling travelers to find their location, plan their route, exchange routes with other users, and more. The software uses satellite Global Positioning System (GPS) data to show location and can be used anywhere in the world, wherever maps are available.

Navigation systems in general use today divide into two broad categories; urban, and off-road. Urban navigation applications use vector-based maps called vector graphics. This map-type contains objects such as city names, and street names, which are stored in data tables inside the map itself. In contrast, off-road navigation applications use raster-based (raster graphics) maps, which are essentially scanned maps.

Columbus' current navigation software, Ranger, focuses on the off-road environment. The Company's new system will be the first in the world to offer a comprehensive navigation solution with aerial maps covering both urban and off-road environments. Columbus expects the new software to be ready for marketing in the first quarter of 2008.

"We are developing a first-of-its-kind navigation solution that covers all environments," said Columbus CEO Mr. Tsvika Freidman. "There is strong market demand in the US and Europe for navigation systems, particularly in vehicles. Our new solution will mean that travelers can easily benefit from GPS navigation using a single software application. We will continue to maintain our technological lead in the market through first-class product development such as this."

About Columbus

Columbus Geographic Systems (GIS) Ltd. is a rising player in the field of geographic information systems (GIS) and navigation applications. The company brings advanced software capabilities to a wide range of users and devices, previously only accessible to trained professionals on dedicated devices. Its main products include:

-- Highly-effective off-road, outdoor GPS navigation tools, working on a
full range of devices including Car PC, PDA, and Personal Navigation
Devices (PND), with options for 3D imaging.
-- Innovative, affordable GIS tools easily used in a range of
applications, including businesses, agriculture, surveys, and
government agencies.
-- Aerial GIS applications for military and civilian aircraft operating
in complex or threatening environments.

For more information, please visit http://www.columbusgis.com.

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements in this news release may contain 'forward-looking' information within the meaning of the Federal securities laws. All statements, other than statements of fact, included in this release may include forward- looking statements that may involve risks and uncertainties. There can be no assurance that such statements will be accurate and actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. The Company undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect subsequently occurring events or circumstances or to reflect unanticipated events or developments.

DaveB

Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #8

GPS

Yeah.... All those CDs are a pain... I called Maptech about putting them on DVDs, they said no time soon... I think there is a way to put them all on the hard drive (virtual something).. It seems dumb that you can't put them on the hard drive.. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to check out the Lowrance 840c....It would be nice to have streets and good topo on one device....

JM
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #9

Ranger navigation system

MapTech can be installed onto your hard drive. Here's two links on the subject:
http://www.maptech.com/support/forums/m ... eadid=1326

http://www.maptech.com/support/forums/m ... FTOKEN=228

FYI, if you are running more than one mapping program and your GPS uses the serial port, only one program will be able to access it. I tried running Streets & Trips while using Maptech and only one program could read from the GPS.

TOPO! is another program you can use off road. There are numerous trails that users have tracked and you can download them (free) through their website (I've been using this program for about 10 years and I think they were bought up by National Geographic.)

And finally, I had a Toughbook mounted in the van but when I upgraded the computer, I couldn't afford another one, so I went with a Dell 600m. Regular laptop, nothing fancy. It works fine and the added vibrations haven't caused a problem in over 2 years steady of use. But, I do have it in a RAM mount on the doghouse.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Any clue on how much hard drive is used up for something like the state of California? I haven't counted how many CD's there are but I think something like 12.
Dave.