Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #31

So, did Renogy give you a refund, or were the new panels purchaced from the same vendor that sold both?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So, did Renogy give you a refund, or were the new panels purchaced from the same vendor that sold both?
renogy sent me a box to send back the bad panels for a full refund as part of their recall i just found out about. (slightly more) I picked up the hqst's on amazon (same as the original renogy's)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #33

These the ones you got?

http://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocryst...e+solar+panels
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Yes thats the link i used to buy 4 new panels. so they are definitely different, the hole spacing is different- the junction box seems glued on better and the connectors seemed fine.

at least if these fail, i know they will within the 1yr warranty. i could go with more substantial rigged panels but they wouldnt work so great on my '58 airstream.

if you install them, i learned when removing the bad ones, dont go crazy gluing them down. i have on the new ones just a little c10 and butyl tape with 6 screws each. also i taped the edges with that silver airconditioner tape.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Inventor of the THIRST MATE The Unsinkable Drink Float
https://drinkertoys.com
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
last may when the renogys arrived i tested them before installing and got the rated 20v on them. all summer last year i could get 15-20amps in from them and charged up the bank by noon or 1p.

after trying to figure out the charge problems, i measured each panel separately and got at best 15-16v and not the 20v they should have been accumulating.

dave
Is the 20V you mentioned above the open circuit voltage?.....or did you measure the voltage in-circuit? Same with the 15-16V you measured later?
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Is the 20V you mentioned above the open circuit voltage?.....or did you measure the voltage in-circuit? Same with the 15-16V you measured later?
yes it's voc 20.5 v on the original renogys as well as the new hqst's. their voc is rated at 21.7v

on the failed renogys i measured the voc each to be anywhere between 11 and 17v

my awesome new solar epic branded epsolar tracerbn 520watt controller is showing active in circuit vmp to be the rated 17.7 v in full sun.

i just checked and i'm doing 20amp charge and additional load of 3amp, so that's about right at 5 & change amps per panel.

so i'm pretty happy
attached is the spec on the back of one of the panels.

http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/wp-co...R-576x1024.jpg

all i'm sayin is i got mad power again and the kittehs are cool. my and your mileage may vary but today its good.
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Inventor of the THIRST MATE The Unsinkable Drink Float
https://drinkertoys.com
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
Yes thats the link i used to buy 4 new panels. so they are definitely different, the hole spacing is different- the junction box seems glued on better and the connectors seemed fine.

at least if these fail, i know they will within the 1yr warranty. i could go with more substantial rigged panels but they wouldnt work so great on my '58 airstream.

if you install them, i learned when removing the bad ones, dont go crazy gluing them down. i have on the new ones just a little c10 and butyl tape with 6 screws each. also i taped the edges with that silver airconditioner tape.

dave
I had my Renogy flexible panels installed with just velcro around the perimeter, the six screws, and a dab of sealant on each screw. Setup was solid. When I saw my stolen van late last March, they appeared to still be solidly attached to the roof. Still hoping they catch on fire some day and, well, you know.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with these HQST panels over the coming months. Little worried that they come with only a one year warranty while the now recalled Renogy panels had a five year warranty.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote