Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

So back to the topic at hand, replacing battery terminals............

Received the KnuKonceptz positive replacement terminal---very nice bit but what struck me immediately was how the insulating cover was held captive once installed, no way to remove it if needing a jump or to give one. That would be highly inconvenient for me.

I think for now I'll keep the OEM terminal in place, work on making it a bit tighter on the battery post. I'll share any progress I make in that area.

Also if I could temporarily place the KnuKonceptz piece in place or show it more completely in photos I'd be glad to do so---y'all have been very helpful and that's the least I could do in return.

I believe if you trim the bottom of the insulating cover you would be able to get the cover on and off in the case of needing to use jumper cables. I suspect they would stay on as well as most insulating covers do with that mod. Jump starting wasn't one of my priorities, but I understand the different needs.

What drove my choice towards this battery terminal was the contact surface area provided for the attached terminals, specifically in my case the MRBF terminal fuse holder.

It looks like the OEM positive terminal was modified to except the additional wires. Both of my over 14 year old Fords have had at least one of the OEM terminals fail. Granted the one on the van was probably precipitated by the sportsmobile mod for the battery separator. I am not a big fan of the OEM battery terminals.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Greg those are good points and just looking at catalog offerings of Motorcraft parts none of those resemble the one I show installed on my van. The extra studs for supplemental terminals was almost certainly installed in the aftermarket--Braun (I'm assuming) outfitted this van with one if its commercial-type wheelchair lifts. There was a Bussmann-Cooper interrupt switch/breaker mounted right beside the battery, that's since been replaced with a newer version.

I'd also thought about cutting the KnuKnoceptz insulator thinking it would stay in place just fine----we're on the same page there. For now I'll hold off changing anything---so far my battery is charging just fine. Should be since its brand new just a few months ago.

Thanks guys---and gals too!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #23

Hey guys

Also looking for new terminals and the posts here are quite old.

Is there any update or new found cool terminals in the meantime?
Got to connect the regular wiring + winch wiring and possibly a second battery moving forward.
So I need multiple points to attach and I could get a bit crowded.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote