Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Replacing or adding solar panels?

Hey There,
I've got a 2005 SMB, recently purchased, with 3 'flexible' solar panels that are attached to the top of the Yakima pod that is up there. I am pretty certain these were installed 5 years ago when the van was built. In front of that pod is a satelite Tv Trackvision 'dish' that lies flat against the roof above the passenger seat. Knowing that, I have a few questions...

1. After 5 years, how has the solar panel technology improved and could I get more efficient panels. I am still learning about this rig, slowly but surely, and am not yet positive how efficient the existing panels are. How do you measure how efficient your panels and battery are? I don't know the age or type of the extra battery.

2. Do they still make these flexible panels?

3. I dont forsee using the Trackvision, there currently is no Tv and I dont intend to get one. Would it make sense to remove the Trackvision and in that spot put a 'latest and greatest' solar panel?

4. Would SMB Indiana be able to do that for us?

I am going to contact SMB Indy about this too, same questions, but I wanted to throw the hook out to you guys as well to get some 'first hand experience' type response. Thanks again.
Rip

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #2

Re: Replacing or adding solar panels?

Have any pics brother?

I am pretty sure that the technology has improved

I am un clear if you still want the flex panels or the rigid ones

Additionally:

What is your battery storage amp hours total?

What is your required load ( lights, tv, fridge, etc)?
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

generally the Kyocera, rigid panels, are a lot more efficient than the flex panels which I believe was made by Solara. We opted for a single Kyocera and was very happy with it. It powered all of our equipment and some.
The Flexible panels should still be available from a marine retailer. I'm not sure if Solara is still in business.

Regarding the trac vision. if you are not planning to use it, I would advice on removing it. You can gain some valuable space on your roof. There is also a market for used trac visions.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

I have two of the Solara flex panels. They are still in great shape however I think Solara is out of business now. I would suggest the newer technology if you are going to upgrade.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #5

IMHO the need and usage of the solar panels
would guide the replacement/need

ya need a trickle charge?

charging house battery or starter??

just my analitical mind ......
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Argg, Solara left the US. The only thing I don't like about glass panels is they can break. Pinecones now freak me out. My CB antenna took out one of mine after just being installed

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

When I do my install (any week now!) I was going to write this up, but there is a new flexible option out there, and I have one sitting next to me:

http://highflexsolar.com/

Basically, all the advantages of flex and low profile with the output of silicon. And yes, I've walked across it and rolled it and it's fine. Only issue I think will be that when flush mounted, you'll lose some efficiency due to the temp buildup. However, a 130W flat panel that is lighter and lower profile (wind resistance... hate it) is what I was after, and it's what I found.

When I finally get around to installing (don't have time in the forseeable future), I'll do the write-up.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote