Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Replacing original isolator with Blue Sea 7622 ACR

My UB4D house battery has finally decided to decline, going to replace with a Lifeline. Figured I would also take this opportunity to swap out the isolator for a separator. Looking at the original wiring diagram under the hood and the Blue Sea install diagram, it looks like it is not exactly a swap of components. Or is it? Can i simply wire in the new Blue Sea under the hood, in place of the isolator? Presumably, i would also need to reconnect the alternator lead from the isolator to the starter battery? It also shows two battery switches, but unclear if those are required in this situation. Thx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8897.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 11.29.17 AM.png  

Wire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

Garage
1. Battery Switches. These are an add-on, and are not required.

2. Functional differences between your existing Isolator and the BS7622 Charging Relay:
Your isolator takes an input of 13v power from your van's alternator. It then directs that power in two separate directions: to the chassis battery, and to the house battery. The power to each battery is electrically isolated from the power to the other battery.

The BS7622 operates differently. The BS7622 functions as a Separator, not an Isolator. The BS7622 does not take in power, then distribute it to two separate, electrically isolated battery banks. Instead, the function of the 7622 is to connect the two battery banks to each other.

When the voltage of either side goes above 13v, the relay closes, and it connects the two battery banks. When the voltage drops below 12.75, the relay opens, and breaks the connection between the battery banks.

3. Wire Routing. Per the BlueSea diagram, and your post, with the 7622 installed, you will need to reconnect your alternator to your chassis battery, then run cable from your chassis battery through a circuit breaker to the 7622. Connect the other side of the 7622 to your house battery through a circuit breaker.

4. Wire Size. Size matters. Undersized cables are common, and they are a fire hazard. Measure the length of the run, and determine what cable size you should have. If you need to upsize--and you likely do--now is the perfect time to do so.

5. Lug Size. The terminal connectors on the 7622 are larger than the connectors on most isolators. This means that you will probably need to get new wire-end lugs for your cables. Drilling out the existing ones is a tempting quick fix, but it reduces the contact area, which results in voltage loss, heat production, and increased risk of fire.

6. Location. I haven't seen a 7622 installed under the hood before. It would be worth it to check with Blue Sea to identify approved operating temperature ranges. Unless one of the electrical wizards in the group chimes in first.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

Garage
Damn good explanation.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #4

As a owner, installer and user of the BS7622 that was about the best simplest explanation for it.
I wouldn't be happy without it, nor would my batteries.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
4. Wire Size. Size matters. Undersized cables are common, and they are a fire hazard. Measure the length of the run, and determine what cable size you should have. If you need to upsize--and you likely do--now is the perfect time to do so.

6. Location. I haven't seen a 7622 installed under the hood before. It would be worth it to check with Blue Sea to identify approved operating temperature ranges. Unless one of the electrical wizards in the group chimes in first.
Thanks for the write-up.
6. Where are most people mounting these units if not under the hood?
4. If mounted back with other house electrical, looking at around 15’ wire run. Ideal wire size, or how to properly determine?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Garage
6. My separator is inside my van, under the gaucho, adjacent to my house battery bank. My old Dodge Roadtrek had an isolator, like yours, that was under the hood.

4. Here are a few resources. If you do a search, you will find numerous threads on this forum that cover this issue, with plenty of posts from the electrical wizards in the group. The best general advice is that the temptation is always to go too small. The larger the wire, the less heat you generate, and the less voltage you lose.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...e-And-Ampacity
Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Another good resource is the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, by Nigel Calder. I'm pretty sure it was arctictraveler who first mentioned this one on the Forum.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #7

uh, I barely understand this stuff but this might be worth a read. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ches-7991.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 AM   #8

My BS7622 is next to the house batteries (indoor) but only 6ft from the second starter battery.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
6. My separator is inside my van, under the gaucho, adjacent to my house battery bank. My old Dodge Roadtrek had an isolator, like yours, that was under the hood.

4. Here are a few resources. If you do a search, you will find numerous threads on this forum that cover this issue, with plenty of posts from the electrical wizards in the group. The best general advice is that the temptation is always to go too small. The larger the wire, the less heat you generate, and the less voltage you lose.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...e-And-Ampacity
Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Another good resource is the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, by Nigel Calder. I'm pretty sure it was arctictraveler who first mentioned this one on the Forum.
Here's a diagram of what I have in mind. Dashed are wire segments removed/rerouted.
Leg 1 will be removed.
Leg 2 will be reconnected directly to van battery.
Leg 3 will also be reconnected directly van battery (depending on proper wire size found). Leg 3 will be intercepted by the new ACR.

I had originally thought the remote override switch would be up near the drivers seat. Looking closer at the switch diagram, it looks like only two of the wires, one from the ACR (yellow) and one from the house battery (red), will connect to the switch. It seems easiest to locate the ACR & switch near the house battery, i.e. under the gaucho.

The switch brown lead to the engine ignition shows as optional. What am i losing by not running the wire?

Last, I'm running a single 130 amp alternator, so using that Blue Sea wiring chart am I to assume that a full 130 amp could reach the house battery? And, is the wiring length just the positive lead from battery terminal to battery terminal?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8900.jpg  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
For reference, the maximum ambient temperature suggested by Blue Sea for installation location is 185*F.