Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #21

Re: Running your engine while using high draw items?

Ours is an '03, but the build was '04. We have the first deal with the emergency start switch. As such, if I run the microwave without running the van, I can see a huge drop on the house batts. If i run the van during this process, the drop is considerably less. This, of course, is happening in the sun. Really don't need the van to run if sun is above, but I generally run it. At night, I definitely want to run the van to keep the batts topped off after microwave use. According to my solar panel display, my house batts get immediate attention when I run the diesel engine.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

OK I ran a test and this is how my separator seems to work with the microwave.

With the engine running, the alternator is connected to both battery banks. If I run the microwave, the voltage begins to drop across the starting batteries and once low enough the separator opens up. Now the alternator pushes a charge back into them and quickly the separator closes again; the cycle then starts all over. With the microwave on high, I kept hearing the clicking noise of the relay when it closed but could not hear it open. But I could tell when it opened & closed by the effect it had on the engine, kind of like the air conditioner cycling on and off. There was a time delay in the cycling and if I set the microwave to a mid range setting, the separator never opened which helped to reduce a loss in the house batteries state of charge. But even on a high setting I was getting some charge to all the batteries periodically. It might be worth noting that my setup could work different because of the larger alternator.
I quit running the engine while using the microwave after adding a second house battery; I have lots of extra juice to spare nowadays.

I can only assume the starter acts similar. I didn’t check that yet.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

I am in a private campground tonite where I actually have 30amp power. But a storm this afternoon wiped out the power and it hasn't returned. I wanted to take a shower (using my 110v hot water heater and tripplite inverter.). It is late enough that I didn't want to run engine like I always do to offset power draw for HW heater and micro. So, as a test I just left the engine off (and kept an eye on guage.). Started at 12.9. As I engaged heater and while it warmed up and during shower the guage dropped to 11.4 (lowest reading I have ever seen.). Made me nervous but I showered, and wasn't crazy, quick about it. Once I was done flipped it off. (Note only other thing running is my fridge.). Guage floated back up to 12.5 and now 12.7. I am impressed. I have 2 house batteries. (But not the massive ones many of you have.). I think I underestimated the available juice in the past.)
Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #24

What water heater do you have???
Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Insinkerator model W152. It is the one offered by Sportsmobile. I had been considering the propane one but Nancy in Huntington mentioned this as an option too since I was getting an invertor anyhow. Truth is I guess I got it to save about 300 bucks. Probably a piddlin difference given cost of entire van.