Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #11

Hi Jammyauto,

I think SPOT is back in the picture! My main concern is having help in an emergency situation, plus having family know we're O.K. In the past, we've just called from a phone in the nearest town, after being in the boonies for awhile, to let them know all's well, when we'll be back, etc. We've never needed to keep in touch other than that, so I'll definitely include SPOT as an option when I see Skycall.

Bitburger,

What do you mean when you say Spot's coverage isn't perfect for emergency issues? Have you had a bad experience with it? I do understand that the messages are limited. I like the idea that the GPS in it
tells exactly where you are.

Thanks to you both for your input!

Edie

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #12

cell phone booster

I put a cell phone booster in my SMB and an antenna on the roof, and I am really surprised where i can get a signal now, even here in Colorado

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #13

SPOT comments

Edie,

I am a SPOT fan, I just think it has limitations when compared to a Sat phone or an EPIRB.

For example, with it, you can't differentiate between
I'm out of gas and will need someone to hump some gas 25 miles down a dirt road requiring 4x4 clearance to get out of here.
or
I'm having heart trouble and think my wife may have poisoned me with bad shellfish. I need an helicopter immediately.

Anything short of an emergency is left to a canned help message to be interpreted by your home base team.

I have also had some issues with SPOT messages getting through. Other reviews have seen similar results. For example, you push the OK button. It will give 3 tries, 5 minutes apart but there is no confirmation capability to say that it was successful so you are left wondering if it did or not. In my case most did but many (25%?) didn't.

My wife loves it but that is because she wants to know generally where I am. I commit to her to send at least 1 ok message per day. I try 3 or 4 times and assume that at least 1 will make it. I also have the potential to use it as a 911 (medevac me out!) system but personally I don't think I would bank my life on it.

I also can't figure out a use for the help button because I expect that I would be quite a ways away from my friends if I had a problem and I expect few would be willing to drive 1000 miles to help me fix a mechanical issue:-).
If I was using it in the local mountains, a few hours from friends and family, I might have a different view.

Best wishes on any choice you make.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #14

Quote:
I have also had some issues with SPOT messages getting through
My understanding is that the SPOT uses the globalstar satellite network.

If so, that probably explains the signal reliability problems.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #15

Bitburger,

Thanks for your very informative and helpful answers/comments! I haven't been able to get to Skycall this week, but will next week. I've gotten a lot of options to consider and I feel like I'm more knowledgeable about the whole thing ( Maybe ?), thanks to the forum! The Yahoo group forum has some pretty good feed-back, also.

The satellites are so important, I've found. Some are stationary (don't orbit), and some move constantly around the earth....at least, this is what I'm reading. The GPS ones are different from the others, so hopefully, I'll get the scoop on all of this next week. ( I'm still studying and learning)!

Edie

Old 06-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #16

For those that are interested, here is the link to the Globalstar program that I am using.
https://www.gmpcs-us.com/WebShop/Produc ... px?pid=910
I used it all last week and hardly had any problems with coverage at all. It's gone up a bit in price, but still a hell of a deal for my needs.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #17

Well, I bought a SPOT yesterday from SKYCALL Communications, here in Salt Lake. Russ Smith (801) 450-8317 was extremely helpful as to what our needs are, listened patiently, and covered everything. (He also has Iridium, to buy or rent). He said that SPOT was developed by Globalstar. Apparently, the Globalstar satellites that are "out," aren't able to send the voice communications, but they still have the GPS functions. In other words, all their satellites are working for SPOT! The cost was $150 for the SPOT, plus $100 a year for service. Not bad!

I'm also going to get a cell phone (my first) that can connect to a portable antenna that can be placed magnetically on top of "Alice," when needed....although I'm not sure that that will improve reception. "Alice" is beautiful, but tough, and will be taking us to many wonderlands.....starting next week!

Thanks to all for helping in this decision,

Edie
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #18

Re: Satellite phones

I'm considering getting a sat phone -- because OK/emergency buttons on my SPOT really don't convey enough information back to my wife when I'm way out there alone. I'd really like to send SMS text messages.

Anyone know of good low-usage deals these days? Ideally I'd like to spend little to nothing a month, but instead pay higher per-call and per-message fees.

-- Geoff
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
I'm considering getting a sat phone -- because OK/emergency buttons on my SPOT really don't convey enough information back to my wife when I'm way out there alone. I'd really like to send SMS text messages.

Anyone know of good low-usage deals these days? Ideally I'd like to spend little to nothing a month, but instead pay higher per-call and per-message fees.

-- Geoff
My needs are similar to yours and I've owned two sat phones over the past 5+ years. It is only for updates to the family from the middle of nowhere and emergency communication. I had a globalstar for 2.5 years and it was a disaster. The phone literally did not work a majority of the time.

Switched to Iridium about two years ago and am very satisfied. Signal locks fast and voice quality is very good. Do some research and you can probably find a service plan that works for you. I pay $35 per month and per minute charges are something like $1.65 per minute. Plus you have to buy the phone itself which is about $350 or thereabouts. Not cheap, but money very well spent IMHO.

Rob
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

I think there is another post on this site about sat phones.

I'm also with Iridium. The only problem I've had is in very steep narrow canyons. You have to make your point quickly (don't let anybody put you on hold) and get er done. Our Globalstar phones at work....well they don't work so good.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote