Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #21

Re: Satellite phones

I am also a big fan of Iridium. It doesn't have the huge delay that makes talking awkward, like the Inmarsat or other geostationary satellite phones.

Does anyone know if they're going to launch new satellites? A few years ago I read that enough of them will die by 2012 that Iridium will start having coverage problems.

Just a note, at $35/month, you are coming in pretty close to the cost of a 500 minute prepaid 12 month card. When I last recharged the card, the break even point was about two hours of usage during the whole year. If you use more than that you may as well get the 500 minutes prepaid for the same price. Anything left over at the end of the year can be rolled over to the next year during the next recharge, so you can end up with 1000 minutes... Also, many of the resellers include free text messages with the prepaid cards, but do not offer text messaging with the pay as you go plans.

I think I've said this before, but I've also been extremely happy with using UUPLUS for compressing email over an Iridium. We can send and receive about a dozen emails in less than a minute. We even use UUPLUS for international cellular data roaming, since that can be more expensive (per kilobyte) than satellite data.

Where did you find an Iridium phone for $350?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #22
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
Well, I bought a SPOT yesterday from SKYCALL Communications, here in Salt Lake. Russ Smith (801) 450-8317 was extremely helpful as to what our needs are, listened patiently, and covered everything. (He also has Iridium, to buy or rent). He said that SPOT was developed by Globalstar. Apparently, the Globalstar satellites that are "out," aren't able to send the voice communications, but they still have the GPS functions. In other words, all their satellites are working for SPOT! The cost was $150 for the SPOT, plus $100 a year for service. Not bad!

I'm also going to get a cell phone (my first) that can connect to a portable antenna that can be placed magnetically on top of "Alice," when needed....although I'm not sure that that will improve reception. "Alice" is beautiful, but tough, and will be taking us to many wonderlands.....starting next week!

Thanks to all for helping in this decision,

Edie
You might look into getting into Amatuer Radio also.
2 meter VHF Ham radios can go far (5-20miles) depending on watts and antenna. Most strategic mountain peaks have repeaters also.
There is an almost SPOT like tracking capability with Ham Radios called APRS:
Here is a link with some info on it: http://aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Some of the mobile ham radio setups can do 3 different frequency ranges. Some of them can do HF which can be heard or receive from other states or even countries..
another alternative is to get a amped up CB with a big antenna.

I have a globalstar Sat phone to as a backup but also decided to get my Ham Radio license and buy into Ham radios for emergencies as another backup. The Ham Radio License Technician test is pretty straight forward (e.a.s.y) to get.

I guess the order of operation for emergency (depending on what it is):
Use cell phone
if no coverage, hook up cell phone amp
if no coverage, use Sat phone
if no coverage, and if near Sportsmobile, use CB, use Mobile Ham Radio (Call for MayDay, MayDay on known frequency)
if no coverage and your out hiking, try Sat Phone, if no use handheld Ham Radio and get some altitude to reach a repeater, or Sportsmobile repeater to reach for help.

If all fails, then I'll chew my arm off stuck under a boulder.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #23

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Switched to Iridium about two years ago and am very satisfied. Signal locks fast and voice quality is very good. Do some research and you can probably find a service plan that works for you. I pay $35 per month and per minute charges are something like $1.65 per minute. Plus you have to buy the phone itself which is about $350 or thereabouts. Not cheap, but money very well spent IMHO.
That sounds reasonable. For some reason I thought the phones themselves costed more like $1000. Where did you get your $350 Iridium phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Good point. I've considered that -- and will probably go ahead and get one. In the US it'd be a very nice backup -- but it wouldn't work in Mexico, would it? (That's where I often am.) The other minor point that holds me back on the HAM front is the requirement to publicly list my full name/address online (public record) -- I prefer to stay unlisted.

-- Geoff
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Good point. I've considered that -- and will probably go ahead and get one. In the US it'd be a very nice backup -- but it wouldn't work in Mexico, would it? (That's where I often am.) The other minor point that holds me back on the HAM front is the requirement to publicly list my full name/address online (public record) -- I prefer to stay unlisted.

-- Geoff[/quote]

Should work in Mexico depending if your using HF(High Frequency, longer wave length) versus VHF(Very High Frequency, short wave length). HF bounces off the ionosphere and can go very far!
If it's an all out huge regional disaster, I'm certain the radios will be life saving..

Check out this setup on a Landrover owner, his ICOM radio does the VHF and HF combo and also has a CB mod. The CB band mod granted that wouldt be legal over here but some people do it.
Here is the link: http://9h1aa.tripod.com/id13.html
Also Australians are pretty saavy with their radio rigs in the Outbacks..

As far as public record, are you worried about the Call Sign that is required to be announce by you when you transmit/talk? I wouldn't be to worried about it since it'll be for emergencies..

I'm still new at it and I spend most of the time trying to listen in and make a note of a repeater if its out in the boonies, save it to memory and if I do need it, I have it.
We use different frequencies for private radio to radio (simplex), similar to the GMRS Radios (which is yet another option, since there are GMRS repeaters on mountain peaks also).

We were using the familar (FRS) radios for DualSport Bike to Bike communications, but we now carry 2meter radios that have a longer range. Plus the Sporto has a mobile version that has more watts and range to can be used to repeat or increase the range.

It's been pretty fun so far.. definite alternative to the Sat phone.

The Globalstar ($200 Ebay Special) Sat phone is cheap, with no monthly charge (only if I use it), but every time I try to use it to test, I can never call out when I want to call out. Nothing wrong with the phone but everything to do with their satellite coverage..

That $300 Iridium phone is looking good. Wonder if they have a call plan just like I have with Globalstar?
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
As far as public record, are you worried about the Call Sign that is required to be announce by you when you transmit/talk? I wouldn't be to worried about it since it'll be for emergencies..
No, I know it's a bit silly, but I was worrying more about internet searches (like Google), as the FCC HAM license database of names & addresses is exposed to the public. This kind of thing: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=212320 But it seems like getting myself a PO box would solve my problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #26
NRL

Re: SPOT comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
Edie,

I am a SPOT fan, I just think it has limitations when compared to a Sat phone or an EPIRB.

For example, with it, you can't differentiate between
I'm out of gas and will need someone to hump some gas 25 miles down a dirt road requiring 4x4 clearance to get out of here.
or
I'm having heart trouble and think my wife may have poisoned me with bad shellfish. I need an helicopter immediately.

Anything short of an emergency is left to a canned help message to be interpreted by your home base team.

I have also had some issues with SPOT messages getting through. Other reviews have seen similar results. For example, you push the OK button. It will give 3 tries, 5 minutes apart but there is no confirmation capability to say that it was successful so you are left wondering if it did or not. In my case most did but many (25%?) didn't.

My wife loves it but that is because she wants to know generally where I am. I commit to her to send at least 1 ok message per day. I try 3 or 4 times and assume that at least 1 will make it. I also have the potential to use it as a 911 (medevac me out!) system but personally I don't think I would bank my life on it.

I also can't figure out a use for the help button because I expect that I would be quite a ways away from my friends if I had a problem and I expect few would be willing to drive 1000 miles to help me fix a mechanical issue:-).
If I was using it in the local mountains, a few hours from friends and family, I might have a different view.

Best wishes on any choice you make.
Spot Update:
DeLoreme and SPOT unveils a First Handheld GPS with Satellite Communicator

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... .pdf&pli=1

The revolutionary SPOT Satellite Communicator, designed exclusively for the new PN-60w, merges SPOT satellite message functionality and DeLorme state-of-the-art GPS mapping via wireless. Together, this product pairing offers broader messaging capabilities. Users can send freeform text messages using the PN-60w’s keyboard to select individuals or groups from the field even from remote areas world-wide.
Established SPOT technology allows real-time location updates and the ability to summon help in an emergency. Custom messages and waypoints can easily be shared with social networking sites like SPOTadventures.com, Geo-caching.com, Twitter, and Facebook. As an emergency back-up, the SPOT Satellite Communicator has stand-alone capability to send location-based SOS notification to an emergency response center.
“Today’s announcement combines the latest in sophisticated handheld GPS with SPOT satellite communications providing one-of-a-kind, custom messaging and sharing of geo-location information with others in real-time,” said Peter Dalton, President of Spot LLC and CEO of Globalstar Inc. “We are excited to partner with DeLorme in bringing to market a new wireless GPS solution to consumers.”
“For the first time, people will be able to type custom text messages using the Earthmate PN-60w internal keyboard and then transmit wirelessly to the unique DeLorme SPOT Communicator for sending satellite messages around the globe,” said Caleb Mason, DeLorme Vice President.
Users of the PN-60w can easily manage their profile online including custom maps and message history utilizing a fully integrated user interface designed by SPOT. Information can be kept fully private or shared with family and friends using custom tools like SPOT Shared Pages and SPOTadventures.com.
As a stand-alone GPS, the Earthmate PN-60w delivers premium navigation features including a 32-channel GPS chipset, blazing-fast dual-core processor, 3-axis electronic compass, sensitive barometric altimeter, elevation profiles, and GPX file transfers.
At CES, DeLorme also will be announcing new worldwide map data for the PN-60w, including high-resolution color aerial imagery.
SPOT also will be showcasing its SPOT Satellite Messenger product family and satellite-based services at CES including the award-winning SPOT Personal Tracker™ and the new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger™. Learn about new SPOT Assist services, including SPOT Assist Roadside, providing the only satellite-based roadside assistance and SPOT Assist Maritime providing direct access to BoatU.S. Towing services with the push of a button.

Will be released this Spring June 10th
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #27

Just thot I'd throw out an update on the Sat phone I'm using. Globalstar raised the $10/mo rate I had to $35/mo. (This is with unlimited calls in the U.S.) They do have more satellites up, but there still isn't 24 hour coverage. Sometimes have to wait 20 minutes to catch a signal. This is supposed to be corrected when all their birds are up by March of 2012. Anyway, what, to me, was a deal at $10 is not so much at $35. My wife called Globalstar and told them we were going to cancel our plan as it wasn't worth it at the new rate and they told her that they had a plan that might be better for us. It's called the "Only When You Talk" plan and there is no monthly charge and calls are billed at $1.49/min. Now kids, this is a super deal if you only need the phone for emergencies!!! I was only able to find this plan directly with Globalstar and not with any of their resellers. The 1600 series of their phone is available on eBay for way less then $100 used.
If anyone's interested, I'd call Globalstar first and get a commitment that you can get the plan afore you buy the phone. By the way, there is a one time $50 activation fee.
Call me happy. Wait, don't, not at $1.49/min

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #28

SPOT just came out with a new communicator that pairs with your smart phone for text messages. Very Cool! and reasonably priced too. I think around $200. I'm thinking about trading in my original SPOT for one of these units.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvest
SPOT just came out with a new communicator that pairs with your smart phone for text messages. Very Cool! and reasonably priced too. I think around $200. I'm thinking about trading in my original SPOT for one of these units.
Now that is cool. Instead of having only 3 lame message buttons ("OK", "bad", "emergency"), you can type whatever you like using your smartphone, connected to the Spot using Bluetooth.

-- Geoff
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Just thot I'd throw out an update on the Sat phone I'm using. Globalstar raised the $10/mo rate I had to $35/mo. (This is with unlimited calls in the U.S.) They do have more satellites up, but there still isn't 24 hour coverage. Sometimes have to wait 20 minutes to catch a signal. This is supposed to be corrected when all their birds are up by March of 2012. Anyway, what, to me, was a deal at $10 is not so much at $35. My wife called Globalstar and told them we were going to cancel our plan as it wasn't worth it at the new rate and they told her that they had a plan that might be better for us. It's called the "Only When You Talk" plan and there is no monthly charge and calls are billed at $1.49/min. Now kids, this is a super deal if you only need the phone for emergencies!!! I was only able to find this plan directly with Globalstar and not with any of their resellers. The 1600 series of their phone is available on eBay for way less then $100 used.
If anyone's interested, I'd call Globalstar first and get a commitment that you can get the plan afore you buy the phone. By the way, there is a one time $50 activation fee.
Call me happy. Wait, don't, not at $1.49/min
Best I could find was this table on this website with a comparison of GlobalStar plans. If accurate, it seems that you need to pay an annual fee to get the pay as you go plan.
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/sat...lobalstar.html

Herb