Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Scanguage II experience so far

I bought a Scanguage II for my 5.4 E350 and did about 1500 miles with is within the last week, mostly highway. I don't want this to turn in to another MPG thread, since Jage will disown me probably , but do you guys who map your MPG with yours find it to be as accurate as the old gallons/miles at fill up equation? I got 14ish to 16.6 at best on my trip over 4 tanks of gas but the Scanguage never reflected this accurately. I haven't read the whole book yet, but followed the quick start method outlined in the user manual, and updated gallons and cost each fill up. Does it get more accurate over time as it maps your habits?
Also, I'm wondering if it will ALWAYS restart your average MPG every time you shut the engine off.
Also, I'm curious who has figured out the Xguage method of monitoring trans temp. I glanced over this somewhere but I'm curious if I need to add a trans temp sensor or something to make this work.
I know some of these questions may be answered in the manual, but my van, manual, and scanguage are many miles from me for a couple of weeks having my pop-top installed. I want to be prepared when I pick it up if I can.
Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Re: Scanguage II experience so far

You have to calibrate the ScanGauge for mileage by inputting the actual gallons used at fillup.

I find the ScanGauge to be quite accurate for the same driving. For example, when calibrated on highways, it will be accurate on highways. Different driving yields different results. And that is a calibration error.

When you fillup, there is also variations in each pump's shutoff point, and that introduces errors.

So, I only adjust 1/2 the error noted on each fillup. If the ScanGauge says I used 20 gallons, and actual pump says 22, I input 21 into the ScanGauge. Otherwise, you will being constantly adjusting for various errors in calibration.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #3

The manual will describe a method where you tell the gauge what you really got for a given tank full vs. what it thinks you got and makes adjustment. The accuracy will continue to increase a bit as you calibrate over the next few tanks.

(Mike posted while I was writing this - I think he has a better handle on the calibration method.)

As for the Trans Temp readout, you have to go to the Scangauge website and look up X-Gauge functions. Basically you key in codes that are different for every make and model of engine and transmission. It's a pain in the butt to program but works fine once that one time chore is done.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Mike, thanks. I did input the gallons, but I like your method of adjusting for errors. I'll try that.

Viejo, I should've checked the website before I originally posted. Thanks, I found it. I went ahead and printed those off so I can have them next time I'm in the van. Trans temp is the one I want most, but there are several handy ones there. I'm actually amazed that they are free. I fully expected there to be an extra charge to get the extra data.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
I'm actually amazed that they are free. I fully expected there to be an extra charge to get the extra data.
Wait 'till you finish programming the damn thing. You'll be thinking they owe YOU money.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

As I recall, there were two codes for the transmission temperature. If one doesn't work, the other one will.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #7

don't forget that you'll need to verify the MPH with a GPS, that way you get the correct MPG reading.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #8

If you buy a Scanguage II from Bulletproofdiesel it's already configured for the 6.0 PSD.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote