Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Security System and door locking

I did a few searches and didnt find anything so making a new topic....

As I have stated before, im rebuilding my 06 5.4 Quigley. This time, is is being done right

So I am thinking of a security system with some sort of paging. I have just started, bjut looking to the clifford/viper/python system that utilizes gsm cellular tech to page to iphone as most of the time, Im not with my vehicle during the day while camping.

Do you have one of these, and does it work for you?

This leads me to my next question. how many use those Master Lock Shackles? I really like how BadgerTec did theirs by removing most of the round housing and mounting them inside the door, but I simply dont have the time/knowledge/money to do such a nice job and repaint.

What other options do you guys use to secure doors?

And Last question, What about the front door windows? Isnt that the weak point?
I am working with a friend of mine in Columbus, a skilled sheet metal worker, who also does work with lexan type material which he says would be perfect for making a insert so that even if someone breaks the glass, it would be *impossible* to kick it in or break it to reach the handle or lock plunger.

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Re: Security System and door locking

There are some older posts on bulletproof glass coating to prevent entry through the front windows. Something I've always wanted to do.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2658&hilit=bulletproof+window
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4704&hilit=bullet+proof+window viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125&hilit=bullet+proof+window

Also no matter what physical lock system you put in place, you only increase the time of entry. Anything by Master is easier to go through then the stock door locks, but more likely you're just encouraging the common thug to do destructive entry through a window.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

I ordered one of the viper systems. Not a 3G one but one that has a two way pager up to a mile or so.

Should be getting it soon. Will be interesting how hard it is to install

also ordered a glass break sensor with it as well
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

@mikes,
I would like to know your experiences with it if possible. I use to install many of them when I was a teen, and I can only imagine that they are more complicated now.

I really need one with cellular but also wondering the service price of it. too lazy to call anyone
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

will do. Didnt think much when i ordered it and then it sunk in that maybe it will be too much. But we will see
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

I have autopage alarm system installed on my van. I bought the van with it installed. It works OK. My biggest complaint is to somehow disarm the chirps when you lock the doors or unlock them. In a campground at night it can be very annoying so we usually end up not using the alarm system camping and just key lock it all the old fashion way. It has a feature where anyone from the van can page me by touching the windshield. Never used this function. It does eat up some battery when sitting for long periods of time. If I forget to plug in the van it can run the battery down.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #7

I did get the viper alarm

looking at this it will take some time to get this all figured out. Doesnt come with any installation instructions but i found them on the web.

Lots of wires to hook up

i bought the alarm system as well as the glass breakage sensor. Mostly what i am interested in is someone opening doors or breaking the glass so i will probably skip installing things like remote start for now. Nice addon the remote temperature sensor that shows the inside temp on the keyfob
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #8

Mike, I have the remote temperature on the fob. Where does it say to put the sensor, or is it just the installed alarm box that takes temperature? Mine somehow is in direct sun (don't know where) and skyrockets in temp as soon as the van is off. Makes it pretty useless.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

Roonie wrote...

Quote:
My biggest complaint is to somehow disarm the chirps when you lock the doors or unlock them. In a campground at night it can be very annoying so we usually end up not using the alarm system camping and just key lock it all the old fashion way.
The first thing I did when I got my Tacoma and my wife got her 4runner was to find those chirp gizmos and rip 'em out. On the Toyotas, it's a small can, about 1" dia and 3" long. Just unplug it from it's wiring harness and you're done. The hard part is finding it. On the Toyotas it's under the hood near the battery.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Roonie wrote...

Quote:
My biggest complaint is to somehow disarm the chirps when you lock the doors or unlock them. In a campground at night it can be very annoying so we usually end up not using the alarm system camping and just key lock it all the old fashion way.
The first thing I did when I got my Tacoma and my wife got her 4runner was to find those chirp gizmos and rip 'em out. On the Toyotas, it's a small can, about 1" dia and 3" long. Just unplug it from it's wiring harness and you're done. The hard part is finding it. On the Toyotas it's under the hood near the battery.
Isn't the chirp gizmo also what sounds the alarm when it goes off? A hate the chirps but still want to keep the alarm if it ever goes off like in my driveway at night and someone is breaking into it. Also the van engine compartment is crowded.... will take some looking.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote