Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Bronco Hauler - I had fits with our GFI so I had an electrician come out and put in a dedicated 30 amp line with a RV specific outlet. At least hat problem was solved.
Too bad it wasn't such a simple fix. I know a number of people have had problems with Tripp Lite's and GFI outlets.

Good luck on the hunt.

Herb

Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

The Tripp-lite units that trip GFI breakers have excessive current leakage internally...which is surprising in 2016.......curious if they have UL/CSA/CE markings on their labels?

A GFCI receptacle (or breaker) senses the current going out the hot wire and expects the same current coming back on the neutral wire.....and it trips when the two are not balanced......which means current is going somewhere else....like to ground.....

It would be interesting to plug one into a current leakage tester.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The Tripp-lite units that trip GFI breakers have excessive current leakage internally...which is surprising in 2016.......curious of they have UL/CSA/CE markings on their labels?
Very surprising, and a little troubling.

Herb
Old 11-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #14

The Tripp-lite will work when plugged into a GFCI receptacle, you just need to make sure that it is the Auto/Remote position, this will allow the ground bonding circuit to open once it has detected incoming AC.

One would think that putting it to "Charge Only" would default to the correct Ground Bonding position, bur since it part of the auto detect circuit, it really needs the inverter to be on, so it can correctly remove it, or apply it in the case of the inverter being used in a backup mode.

The original poster should be able to tell if AC is there by looking at his LED display.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #15

Reviving this one and determined that the Tripplite is toast. The electrician I hired to put in a dedicated 30A charge outlet wired it up as 240v and of course, he is not returning my calls.

Looking for a new inverter/charger and getting another Tripplite would be the easiest with the MRV2012UL but the reviews on Amazon are pretty bleak. I have the TL remote on the wall and again it would be nice to keep using that. Looking at the Xantrax 2000w units and they are too big to fit into the space I have under the bed (RB50). Their remotes are either too small or too big but I could fashion something to mount that. The other problem is that their newer style inverters are 1000w and also too long to fit under the bed.

I can't find any threads on inverters to know what it good or bad these days. Pure Sine is good but I think I can live without it as we normally just use lights, fridge, and fan for the Espar. Any other thoughts before I click the BUY button?
Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #16

Quote:
I can't find any threads on inverters to know what it good or bad these days. Pure Sine is good but I think I can live without it as we normally just use lights, fridge, and fan for the Espar. Any other thoughts before I click the BUY button?
I've always had great luck with Tripplites.

I may be somewhat of a luddite but I think pure sine is a waste. Everything I've ever used with MSW works fine. I'd save the money for beer and gas.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #17

I have a 1200 watt version that came out of my van. Removed because we do not have any 120v items. Will ship it to you if you are interested. 1250-Watt Tripp Lite PowerVerter 12VDC RV Inverter/Charger
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #18

Beer and gas = good, Robb.

Larrie... thanks but I am going to go with a newer and bigger unit. You rock.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Beer and gas = good, Robb.

Larrie... thanks but I am going to go with a newer and bigger unit. You rock.
Check out the Magnum MS2000. Has been getting good reviews here. I bought one a while back but have yet to install it. Plan on buying the remote panel as well and then installing both.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #20

I agree the Magnum Ms2000 is a great unit. The install will be a little challenging as Magnum is larger in size, you may have to move other things around first. They have a nice remote, and also a add-on battery monitor that can be read via their remote panel.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote