Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Shoreline Usage?

During those times when my Sportsmobile is parked, is it alright to use the shoreline to keep the AGM house battery charged. I wasn't sure if my Tripp-Lite Inverter would keep from OVER charging the battery. Note: I'll place the switch at the Inverter in "Charge" position while it is on the shoreline. I recently had a 30amp dedicated circuit installed to allow me to plug in van during these times.

I've had to replace the house battery twice in the last 3 years and am trying to figure out how to extend the life of the one I just put in. I would appreciate any suggestions. The van is stored outdoors and I live at 7000 feet so have at least 6 months of nighttime freezing temps. I do have a solar panel on the roof of the van and we do have lots of sun all year round.

Thanks!
Jeff

jschopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #2

First question: do you have solar panel(s)? There are plenty of phantom electric consumers (e.g. carbon monoxide detectors) that slowly draw away power; a solar panel (if parked outside) will help maintain with a trickle charge. Next is consider a Battery Tender. These are designed specifically for maintaining batteries and not overcharging. Lastly, I don't know much about the inverter, so I'm curious to hear what other members say (but I could always look in my manual...).
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. I do have a solar 60W solar panel mounted on top of the van, but during those days that are clouded, its hard to manage the battery. I've tried using a Battery Tender (Genius), but doesn't seem to "float" the AGM battery.

I was more concern with using the shoreline as a means of keeping the battery happy, but didn't want to over do it.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #4

I have plugged in while parked at home since I have owned my 2004 sportsmobile, I just replaced the tripp-lite last year so most of my data is with the same inverter charger. I also replaced my battery last year so I am nor on my third, the first battery died early because of a shorted battery cable, so my battery life has been good.

A couple of things to worry about, you need to monitor what you're loads are for extended runs at float, there is a phenomenon where the charge can get faked into going back to absorption, when there is a momentary current spike (such as you're fridge coming on and off). This can result in overcharging if it does.

Battery Thermistor, make sure that the thermistor is hooked up to the battery, on the tripp-lite it is taped to the side of the battery, since you have replaced your battery make sure it is hooked up properly. Since you deal with large temperature variations you want to make sure the charger is compensated for the battery temperature.

(if you were counting on your solar charger to maintain the battery, it to needs a temperature probe)

Is your starting battery a wet cell or AGM ? If wet cell you may want to monitor you're water level, long durations of being at float will reduce water in a wet cell. Or you can make sure you disable the Surepower 1315 or Blue Sea magnetic latch relay if you have one, if you have a diode based isolator you should be ok.

I would also disable my solar charger for long durations of being plugged in. Solar chargers like to think they need to come alive every morning and this is where I have seen the Solar Charger force the battery level to be absorption, this is very similar to first phenomenon I spoke of I was able to track it to the solar charger http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...her-16303.html

hope this helps.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Good information....

Thanks Greg, I recently replaced the solar controller with a GoPower 30amp PWM Digital and a Xantrex 84 Link Pro Battery Monitor that I haven't installed yet, need to find someone that's more knowable to do the installation. The previous controller apparently had a loose wire at the connection, which shorted out. I was lucky that it didn't cause more damage.

When installing the new Battery (Lifeline) I made sure that the probe (sensor) wasn't being covered by anything that may give it a false reading.

I noticed that when I have shoreline plug-into the van, the amp reading wont display on the solar controller panel. Not sure if the controller disconnects when using the shoreline?

The starting batteries are (2) Sear Die Hard in parallel. I'm using a SurePower 1315-200 Separator to help manage both starting and house batteries.

Thanks again and if you have anything further to suggest or anyone else, it would very much appreciated.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

Jeff,

I suspect that you don't read current on solar controller because the charge current is going through the Tripp-lite. You're battery monitor will help you see the current coming to/from the inverter/charger. If you need help understanding how to install feel free to PM me.

In any case, you are hoping not to see current from both chargers at the same time. That is how it usually works, but as I said they can sometimes get confused. When I am plugging in for long periods of time, I make sure the Solar is disconnected. Not sure if you can turn yours off, or at least pull fuse from panels to charger.

As far as combined wet cells and AGM, you can put a switch on the ground of the sure power to disconnect while parked and charging. Many on the forum love the surepower is bidirectional, and prefer it that way. So this is not a killer item, but just be aware of the possibilities.

While some will say long times on float can kill you're battery, I think all will say that undercharging and overcharging will definitely kill your battery.

Did you get the temperature probe for the Link pro meter, if and when you install that you can monitor battery temp and calculate what the float, absorption voltage will be for a given temperature. You can look up the correct voltage in the lifeline manual http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-cont.../12/manual.pdf That of course is what lifeline wants, but you will be at the mercy of the charger compensation algorithm, but it should be close.

I would believe by plugging in you will do better with your batteries than you have been.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Greg...

Contacted Go-Power this morning and spoke with one of their tech guys. You're correct about the solar controller seeing current coming in from somewhere else.

SurePower 1315-200 Separator is Bi-directional, but not sure if it's moving the current where it's needed during the time it's plugged in. I do notice/hear it shunting the current when just the solar is in play.

Regarding Xantrex 84 Link Pro Battery Monitor I didn't see a temperature probe. Once I get the courage/understanding a little better to do the install, I very well could use some guidance.

Thanks again for all the input!

Jeff