Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

Garage
Solar and Inverter Install questions

I am looking for info on a solar and inverter installation. I have a basic understanding of household 110v wiring and limited experience with 12v. My research here points me to lots of discussion but not much on actual solar and inverter installation. Anyone who can point me to the best threads I sure would appreciate it.

The kits I am looking at from DonRowe.com
- KISAE SW1210 1000w, 12v Pure Sign Wave Inverter
- Samlex SRV-150-30A Solar Charging Kit

My questions:
-Do I have to connect the inverter directly to the battery or can I connect to the leads coming inside the van that are conveniently located with the other electronics? I assume cable size is a factor here, I am not sure what size SMB used for leads.
-Same question as above for the solar controller to the battery.
-DonRowe includes well nuts with their kit. Can these be used safely in the PH top? Any solutions for safely penetrating the PH for both the panel mounts and the wiring would be appreciated.

Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Garage
Also, Is this a good combo of equipment? I am not powering a microwave. Primary use is charging the house battery and electronics. Computers, headlamps, handheld radio etc. Also occasional use of clippers :-)

KISAE SW1210 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter | DonRowe.com
DonRowe.com: Samlex SRV-150-30A Solar Charging Kit
Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramp View Post
My questions:
-Do I have to connect the inverter directly to the battery or can I connect to the leads coming inside the van that are conveniently located with the other electronics? I assume cable size is a factor here, I am not sure what size SMB used for leads.
-Same question as above for the solar controller to the battery.
-DonRowe includes well nuts with their kit. Can these be used safely in the PH top? Any solutions for safely penetrating the PH for both the panel mounts and the wiring would be appreciated.
1. Inverter should be as close to battery as possible with the shortest wires possible in large gauge. For a 1000 watt inverter probably 2 gauge with a run of no more than a few feet.

2. Wiring goes from panels to controller to battery but from controller you can tap in to any decent sized power wire (10 gauge or larger) instead of directly to battery. Tapping in to your SMB fuse panel is fine.

The sky is the limit for penetrating the roof for solar mounts or wiring. I have done a few PH solar installs and always used existing rack/PH bolts to mount solar instead of drilling more holes. Any holes you do drill I would recommend putting outside the canvas if you can, along the edges is what many have done.

Search some of the solar installs here to gather ideas. On my Rusty rebuild rebuild you can see what I did.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

I dont see a need for such a large invertor...
I do the same with just a 150 wt invertor, including a 26in tv.
Keeping the invertor small reduces the waste of power.
As for charging laptops, use a 12 charger to also reduce the amount of lost power by converting from 12 to 110 back to 12...
When charging any appliances try to go straight from the battery to the unit. What I mean is get a cigarette lighter plug type charger.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

I mounted my panels with Uni-strut as have others. Make sure you fuse the wires correctly too. PM sent.....
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #6

Garage
I'm looking for suggestions on a good location for a solar controller in an EB50 SMB. I'm mounting the solar panel(s) up front on the Thule rack rails. I'm thinking of mounting the controller at the top of the wall panel, passenger side. Any comments or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
7oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:27 AM   #7

Keep the MC4 cables short as possible going from the panels to the SCC, so the location of it is up to you.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oaks View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on a good location for a solar controller in an EB50 SMB. I'm mounting the solar panel(s) up front on the Thule rack rails. I'm thinking of mounting the controller at the top of the wall panel, passenger side. Any comments or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
That's exactly what I would recommend. Beware of wiring behind that panel but the easiest way to cut it is with an oscillating multi-tool.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote