Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #31

Installed one 140 watt Kyocera KD 140 SX Kit for $435. Included SunSaver 10 AMP controller.

My battery is 130 AMP Trojan group size 31 which powers DE0041 Norcold fridge drawing 2.8 -3.0 amps plus water pump and lights. Full sunlight keeps battery sufficiently charged daily. Van is Dodge B-350 RB penthouse.

All four mounting brackets fit on existing roof bolts with no drilling or modification to solar panel or poptop. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
P1300734.jpg  

soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #32

Garage
Daveb,

Where are your two, 4D batteries located? My single Lifeline 4D battery is located under the SMB directly in front of the rear axle which I thought was common. Did SMB West install yours or did you?

Mike
Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

I just installed another 100 watts for a total of 300. Charging two 6v golf carts for a total of 220ah. Loads are the refer, tv, stereo with two amps, fan, lights misc charging of electronics. 200 wasn't enough, so now we will see how 300 compairs to my usage. If it's not enough I'll have to cut back as there is no more realestate available.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan View Post
Daveb,

Where are your two, 4D batteries located? My single Lifeline 4D battery is located under the SMB directly in front of the rear axle which I thought was common. Did SMB West install yours or did you?

Mike
Mike I had just enough to mount a second box right next to the other (between the axle and sub floor storage) on my EB. You just need to make sure each battery fits correctly. The MK Deka's are slightly too high compared to the Lifeline 4D's I'm using. Side by side they just fit. My guess is other brands might be too wide. I just don't know. Regular body vans probably don't have enough room but I've never checked that either.
Looking at your trip reports I always wondered if you'd need a insulated battery box... you go to some cold places

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #35

Garage
Daveb,

I'm pretty sure my RB doesn't have room for a second battery. I'm not necessarily looking but the thought has crossed my mind.

An insulated box around my battery would most likely have prevented my battery/inverter issue. Thought about that also. I've never had that issue before and I've been in some cold climates but never -24.

For those doing a new build, or home build, an inside battery may be the way to go, depending on how you plan to use your van.

Sorry about the temporary thread hi-jack.

However, along the lines of the original thread, I visited an RV dealer today to check out the solar panels they sell. I'm looking at a GoPower 160 watt panel and I plan to make the solar purchase this winter.

I'll up date after I actually have a system to talk about.

Mike
Old 01-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #36
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan View Post
For those doing a new build, or home build, an inside battery may be the way to go, depending on how you plan to use your van.

Sorry about the temporary thread hi-jack.

However, along the lines of the original thread, I visited an RV dealer today to check out the solar panels they sell. I'm looking at a GoPower 160 watt panel and I plan to make the solar purchase this winter.

I'll up date after I actually have a system to talk about.

Mike
Mike maybe you can mount sideways and stack the batteries?

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #37

120 watts feeding 500ah worth of battery takes care of my power needs nicely fridge and forced air furnice...
Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #38

Garage
I just had a 160 watt GoPower panel installed.

My house battery is a Lifeline 210 amp hour battery.

My SMB is a 2006 RB 50. The panel is new as of 2/10/16 so I have no experience with it yet. I don't think I'll have any issues with the size. I use lights, refrigerator and heat mostly. I charge a phone, but usually when I'm driving. I have sparingly used the DVD player or the radio/CD.

Mike
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #39

Garage
VivaLaVida is equiped with three 145W flipable panels (435 W total) and a BlueSea controller.
There are three 140 Ah batteries (420 Ah total) inside the van to keep good efficiency when it's really cold outside. Enough to allow me to run a microwave for more than ten minutes or let me work with my powerfull workstation to postprocess pictures...

Here a picture of the solar panels fliped. There is enough space to carry a kayak beside.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
2 100 wt renogy panels.
PWM 30 amp charge controller.
2 155 ah batteries.
Soon to install blueseas ACR.
In Florida plenty of charging. NYC not enough.
Light load: fridge, led lights, fantastic fan, 26inch led tv, phone and gadget charging, soon to power the Espar D4.
It's been a while since I last posted the info above...

Now that the Espar is installed and working this winter, the ACR also installed, I can give a little bit more info.
Depending on how much driving I do before I camp for the night, but there usually is between 13.2 to 13.35 at the house batteries.
If I start with the higher end of stored power then kick on the heater, watch some tv, charge the phone and obviously turn on lights and take a shower. I'll wake just past sunrise to see no less than 12.9. If I start to camp with the lower end of the stored power I might see 12.8 but not usually that low.

All said, I'm very happy with the system I put together. I would like to see more from the charge controller... and might upgrade sooner than later.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote