Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #31

Re: Solar Panel Selection/Fit Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I ran my solar wiring down the rear corner opposite the factory PH wiring. Same idea, different place.
I did this, writeup and photos around here somewhere...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
have you decided on a charge controller?
We ordered the van with the solar prewire, so it already has the Blue Sky charge controller. I can't remember which model number it is, but I can look when I get home if needed.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #33

2000e probably.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #34

Sounds good, especially if you are using a monocrystalline solar panel, you wont have any problems with that, you can even get great smart controllers these days that will control your power input and output, ive seen some new portable solar power systems that will also do the job really well, and you can either mount then or keep them portable too.
Peterpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #35

I figured I should update this topic since I had the panel installed by SMB West this prior Monday. All went smoothly and they were able to position it exactly where I wanted. The penthouse springs were adjusted as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #36

Sdwindansea, I'm looking to to something similar after I refinish my top with raptor liner. I've got a Yak Megawarrior basket on tracks that I'll move more to the back so I've got about the same amount of space on top for a panel that you have. I also like the idea of covering the dip in the roof where the pull-down/lift pad is located. Or maybe the roof got tightened too much by the previous owner. It's mainly cosmetic but I still find it annoying.

Anyhow, SMB is too far for me to consider but No. AZ Wind and Sun is located in the same town as I so I'm trying to brush up on solar before going over there to consult on components, etc. My main question is the mounting system used by SMB West. Does it allow air to travel underneath so the panel doesn't get too hot? Maybe it's not an issue with the newer panels but in searching the forum there seems to be a variety of ways to mount solar panels. I'm not necessarily opposed to drilling holes in the roof but your install looks nice and clean.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #37

JoeH, SMB installed the panel directly to the roof, they did not use the Thule tracks. Basically there is an aluminum "L" rail in the front and rear of the panel (you can see the rear one in my picture above). Each aluminum rail is through bolted to the roof in two places, I'm sure SMB could supply the hardware if you requested. From inside the van, the new holes look identical to others made by SMB. The panel is then attached to the aluminum rails. There is probably 1" to 1.5" of clearance between the bottom of the pane and roof. If you need additional pictures, let me know. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #38

How does the aluminum "L" rail in the front and rear of the panel bolt to the panel? If it's drilled into the sides of the solar panel it could void the warranty. So, SMB must have a way around that. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #39

Joe, if I recall correctly, the solar panel already has holes in the side of the panel for mounting (all 4 sides). I'm sure AZ Wind & Sun or other members who have installed panels themselves can give you further details on that part.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #40

Zamp seems to be the panel of choice now for SMB. They make smaller 95W panel that is 21.5" x 48" that I could put in the same location as yours. 5A instead of 7A but it comes with it's own controller. I can also go across town and buy the 135W Kyocera panel and not pay shipping.

I like the idea of going with a longer piece of aluminum L rail than using small brackets such as these: http://www.solar-electric.com/dipozrvmofe.html

Any issues with the overlap of the 59" panel on the penthouse roof? Does it catch on vegetation or do you notice any increased wind resistance? I suppose on one side it doesn't matter since you've got an awning.