Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #11

Wow that looks a lot nicer. Weren't they just glued on before?

Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
Site Team

Mine were never glued down but rather the solar panels were attached to flat bar crossbars at the leading and trailing edges of the panels.

So now I have angle iron cross bars on all four sides of the double panel layout. I'm much happier so far with this installation.

Herb
Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
hi Herb

did you have SMBwest do the install of the solar panel frame? i just had them do mine and the frame is quite soggy (bends at the middle).
lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #14

lobo, do you have angle (L shaped) metal for the frame?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Site Team

SMBw did the initial solar panel install, where only a piece of flat aluminum stock attached the two solar panels to the Yakima rails at the leading edge, and the trailing edge of the panels.

When I went back to SMBw to have them check out my problem, they installed new solar panels, and used aluminum angle stock on all four sides of the two panel solar array. Everything is still functioning fine, though admitedly, we haven't gone on any major road or off road trips since the (warranty) fix.

Herb
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
Site Team

Here I go again.

On a road trip about 6 weeks ago, I heard the solar panels thumping very loudly again. At the time, I attributed it to the headwind we were driving into at the time. The van hasn't been driven much since then, but there's a strong possibility that we're going to be moving to Virginia sometime in the next 4-6 months, and we'll probably drive the SMB. That has us thinking about ways to prevent the thumping. I went up to take a look to see if a Yakima wind deflector would help, but I see the panels are too far forward for me to put a wind deflector on the penthouse in front of the panels, unless I use some rain gutter tower mounts on the metal van roof above the driver's and passenger's seats. Still a possibility.

While looking around, I noticed the edge of the panels toward the rear of the van moved up and down quite a bit. Looking further, it appears that the rear passenger-side solar panel framework that was built to support the panels, and that mounts into the Yakima/Thule roof channel, has actually broken part of the roof rail channel and is now free to move up and down, and correspondingly the panels are now able to significantly flex up and down and thereby loudly thump the penthouse roof.

Here's an earlier pic of the same area (on the driver's side). I don't have any new pics yet, but where the angle iron meets the roof rail, is where the roof rail fractured.

I then went inside and took a look at the Blue Sky controller, and it read just over 6 volts, with no indication of a solar charge. This was at about 4:00pm on sunny day with no shading on the panels.

I really like the new solar panel framework, but it looks like the channels are not strong enough to support the weight and more likely movement of the panels and the frames. Maybe the rear of the solar panel framework need to be mounted into a Yakima roof rail mount which is then inserted into the roof rail channel. I hope there's no permanent damage to my house battery.

I have an e-mail into SMBw regarding this issue, but I hesitantly raise this subject before it's resolved, to encourage other with this same solar panel mounting method the check their roof rails for damage to prevent possible catastrophic damage to their solar panels.

Herb
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #17

If you have time can you take a photo of the damage? This roof system is pretty close to what I want to do and maybe we can troubleshoot a little as to how it failed.

Why is everybody moving East?!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #18

I have my panels bolted directly to the roof and have had no problems to date. No leaks and the mounting bolts have not loosened up at all.
Here's hoping....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
I have my panels bolted directly to the roof and have had no problems to date. No leaks and the mounting bolts have not loosened up at all.
Here's hoping....
Yeah I was initially excited about the fact that they built a raised framework for the solar panels, because air circulation underneath the panels allows them to operate cooler, and therfore more efficiently, but now I'm wondering if the risks and complications outweigh the benefits.

Herb
Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
If you have time can you take a photo of the damage? This roof system is pretty close to what I want to do and maybe we can troubleshoot a little as to how it failed.

Why is everybody moving East?!
Jage,

Will try to get a pic today or tomorrow. It looks like SMBw used an oblong cam as a nut on the bolt. The cam fits through the roof rail gap until it is turned by tightening the corresponding nut, and then it can't leave the gap. I'll take and post a pic...

Herb