Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Solar Power thats Portable, Panel and Battery Included

Any one have experience with the company Goal Zero?

Who has used these battery packs at home or as a mobile power source:

Portable Power Packs - Extreme Portable Power Backup - Goal Zero

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
Any one have experience with the company Goal Zero?

Who has used these battery packs at home or as a mobile power source:

Portable Power Packs - Extreme Portable Power Backup - Goal Zero
I don't have experience with their mobile power source but I do have one of their Lighthouse Mini Lanterns. It is one of the most well engineered products I have ever encountered. It has a built in hook for hanging, a loop for a carabiner, and a threaded socket for 1/4 camera mount. It can light up either one or both sides. It's dimmable. It has a built in USB cable for recharging and a well designed replaceable rechargeable battery which can be inserted either way. Also has a magnet in the base.

If their other products are as well designed as their lights you can expect high quality.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

One of my friends uses a smaller charger unit for his camera and phone charge in the field. He considers this company to etch in quality as well; we haven't run into anyone with a larger set up yet.
It seems like an awesome backup for emergency at home.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quality, but you have to decide if the quality is worth that much more in terms ofprice. I don't mind paying for quality, but Goal Zero has a high price premium.

Herb
Old 05-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #5

You're right Herb; I think part of the calculation would be that it is a home as well as adventure unit. The dual purpose may help balance the sting of that costs which is pretty damn steep. Specially if its just an extra piece of gear for a blender...
Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

I have a Yeti 400 along with four 15 watt panels on my van. It has always worked as advertised while powering my Dometic Fridge and in my home during the occasional power outage. I did buy two extra 33 amp hour batteries that I run in parallel and connect to its Anderson port for increased capacity. I have no complaints.

While the price isn't the lowest, you can find them on a deal if you time it right. I bought my Yeti with my REI 20% annual member discount and I got the panels during a steal of a sale offer Christmas one year.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
I don't have experience with their mobile power source but I do have one of their Lighthouse Mini Lanterns. It is one of the most well engineered products I have ever encountered. It has a built in hook for hanging, a loop for a carabiner, and a threaded socket for 1/4 camera mount. It can light up either one or both sides. It's dimmable. It has a built in USB cable for recharging and a well designed replaceable rechargeable battery which can be inserted either way. Also has a magnet in the base.

If their other products are as well designed as their lights you can expect high quality.
The Lighthouse 400 is currently on sale for $55.99
Lighthouse 400 Lantern & USB Power Hub | | Goal Zero

Herb
Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

Herb, thanks for the tip. We're going to buy one at this price and try it out...
Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #9

Since you asked... a certain SMB owner bought a full on GZ system at OX last weekend in Flagstaff. He returned it the next day as it did not work or put out as advertised. Looked like a total PITA to me to set up with tripod and such. YMMV
Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Team

FWIW, at least for the interior of my small (compared to the interior of and SMB) teardrop trailer, I absolutely love my MPOWERD Luci solar light. I have an interior white/red LED light in my teardrop, but the Luci is more than adequate for most of my needs and doesn't drain my battery.

https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-...&keywords=luci

Herb

Tags
house battery, portable, power source, solar