Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #11

Looks like Solara went out of business.

http://solaraenergy.com/

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #12

Garage
Now that's just friggin' great. I have a $3k solar panel system, and the panel maker is now gone, and surely will not honor any warranties. At least the panels are of good quality and should last a while.

It's really a shame that a solar energy company has folded. Not a good sign of the times for us, as we need that technology now more than ever.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #13

We had SMB install two Solara panels and a Blue Sky controller in September this year. A photo is here:

http://www.pbase.com/railbat/image/85794057

As we had very little room over the roof to clear our garage door, we asked them to attach them flat to the roof. They have been working well.

Brian Rutherford
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #14

I did some research on Solara a few months back and read about a guy who had had a couple of Solara flexible solar panels installed on his sailboat. One of the panels quit working and he tried to get Solara to honor the warranty. It turns out there were two Solara companies - the California distributor (now out of business) and the German manufacturer also named Solara. Except for the name, the companies were independent entities and neither wanted to take responsibility for repairs. In total frustration the mariner posted all of his correspondence to both companies (going back over a year) online and to my knowledge never did a resolution to his problem.
Long story short, if SMB is still installing Solara flexible panels make sure they will honor the warranty unless you plan on driving to Germany.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote