Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Speedometer causing torque converter lockup

I’m on the home stretch of a diy 4x4 conversion on a 99 7.3. Seems like the most difficult part of this conversion is getting the speedometer to work correctly with the 4x4 tailhousung sensor. I’m using a Dakota digital sgi-5e to convert the 36000 ppm from the new sensor to 8000 ppm for the van speedo. I finally got the calibration dialed in where it reads the speed correctly, but the box is causing my torque converter to lock up at idle when in drive. When I stop at a stop sign I have to turn the box off to keep the van from stalling. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m guessing the signal it is generating at idle is somehow causing this issue. Thanks for the help

RLC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #2

Which conversion? Ujoint? MGMetalworks (Expovans)? Other? There are a few different problems here with different ways to fix them. The way I fixed mine was remove all but 3 gears on the tone ring on the output shaft of the tranny. It worked perfectly.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

I fabricated the conversion myself but it’s similar to the mg kit. Coil spring front axle from 06 f250. I’m using the output shaft from a 99 f250 with the f250 speed sensor in the tailhousung. After messing around with the sgi5e I’ve got it reading pretty accurately, my only issue now is that it stalls when I stop at a light or stop sign. It only happens when I have the box turned on ( I have a toggle switch on the power wire to the Dakota digital box). Now if I come to a stop I hit the switch to turn the box off and everything is fine, then turn it back on when I pull away. Maybe I’m the only one that has had this problem, but I hope I don’t need to modify the tone ring.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Is this the same box that Ujoint uses? If so he'll know. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if there's any problem like this he hasn't encountered.

Others that could help would be John at Agile or Michael at Expovans. Both good and helpful guys and much easier to get in touch with than Ujoint, I just know he has used those boxes before.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Ok... I finally got this issue resolved. After connecting to the ecu with the torque pro app, I noticed I was reading around 70mph while sitting still but didn’t register on the van speedo. After some trial and error it seems the power wire to the sgi5e box was getting a false signal from something else in the van, so when I would come to a stop light it would see a speed of 70mph and lock the torque converter, which would cause the van to stall. I ended up running the power wire all the way to the battery and installing a relay to an accessory fuse. I also installed a noise filter inline with the power wire and presto! Problem solved. Hope this helps if someone else has this issue