Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Splicing ABS wire?

Aaargh. So bad news is ABS sensor on. Turns out it wasn't some esoteric problem, but that one of the brackets holding the wire broke, wire then rubbed on the tire and wore throught one strand. I had to have the wheels off anyway (not me, my mechanic) so we decided to replace sensor while we're at it.

Then more bad news. I have a Salem Kroger conversion. Essentially the front end is a 2033 F350 4x4 on a 2001 E250...but not all of it. The mechanic ordered up a bunch of ABS sensors, none of which seemed to match, when he realized that in fact the sensor itself was spliced to the wire that went to the engine bay. But it also looked like the sensor itself didn't match the ones for F350s. That's probably cuz the hubs are not F350, since they are 8x165, not 170, and I think they're off something else (the idea being to have them match the rears).

So finding an off the shelf sensor cable setup is probably a no go. He gave me back the sensor and I thought screw it, if they spliced it once it should work again, so I cut out the damaged wire and soldered in a short bit of similar gauge wire. Any idea if this is gonna work?

Also, any ideas for some sorta split loom shrink tube? I didn't bother to trim it all up real nice since I can do that once my mechanic determines whether it works or not. Or something else to weatherproof it? I noticed the wires had a LOT of insulation for the respective gauge.

Rob

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Re: Splicing ABS wire?

Put a small rubber vacuum hose over it for the length of the wire. About 1.50/ft. solution IIRC and it will last forever.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

I usually use bare crimp connectors (and the proper crimp tool... not the $3 "universal" crimp tool) inside of a good adhesive lined heat shrink. I use clear so I can see that the the adhesive flowed properly. Split loom is good for holding wires together and abrasion resistance, but it doesn't do anything for weatherproofing.

Soldering may not be best for a wire which will flex, that's why I like crimp connections and heat-shrink. But since you already soldered it, might as well give it a go! For wiring I can't heat-shrink, I use self-adhesive silicone tape.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I usually use bare crimp connectors (and the proper crimp tool... not the $3 "universal" crimp tool) inside of a good adhesive lined heat shrink. I use clear so I can see that the the adhesive flowed properly. Split loom is good for holding wires together and abrasion resistance, but it doesn't do anything for weatherproofing.

Soldering may not be best for a wire which will flex, that's why I like crimp connections and heat-shrink. But since you already soldered it, might as well give it a go! For wiring I can't heat-shrink, I use self-adhesive silicone tape.
I agree, but with this size wire the soldered part is about the same size as a crimp, and I've found the stress on the ends of the crimp is a problem in the same way the inflexible solder joint is. And I use the split loom conduit as sort of a "walking cast" for the wire. The ABS wire is clamped on the brake line anyway.

And I meant to ask about split loom shrink tube (not conduit), since I only spliced one wire, so I can't use regular shrink tube over both sets, although I got a bit over the one wire. I'll probably use some liquid electrical tape, and then that self-adhesive silicone tape. There is such a thing as heat shrink tape, but it seems to require considerable heat and I'm not sure it's an improvement over regular electrical tape or the liquid solutions, or silicone tape.