Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #21

Re: Sprinter 4 cyl Alternator recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl
If I understand correctly the new 4 cyl can be had with 200, 220 or 250 Amp alternator. With fuel economy being a high priority what would be recommended? Would a 400 AH battery bank be Bulk charged in a few hundred miles with the smaller alternators. Thanks
Did you consider the second-alternator option available on Sprinters? It's probably a little pricier but might have some appeal. I would investigate a second-alternator option dedicated to house batteries if I were getting a Sprinter; and wish RAM and Ford offered that option too on ProMaster and Transit.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

I'd rather have one high tech alternator over stock twin alternators on a Ford because of the heat alone much less the better regulator but a Sprinter is a different beast. It might be an option. Probably some research is in order. Twin high tech alternators might be a different story...just don't know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'd rather have one high tech alternator over twin alternators on a Ford because of the heat alone much less the better regulator but a Sprinter is a different beast. It might be an option. Probably some research is in order.
What heat are you referring to? The alternators themselves getting hot? If so I'm not following why heat is worse with two versus one. Would seem that spreading load would allow for cooler operation.

Also, I was under the impression that a second alternator allows for more regulator options -- some (external) which work better with large-capacity house battery banks. Anyway, I dont want to high jack thread, it's just that M-B makes a second stand-alone alternator an option which others don't seem to bother with. Again, possible higher cost would be my main concern, although I would have to research subject also to see if there are other issues.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Better regulators and components. There is a reason military vehicle components are rated as such. It's up to you if you feel high tech options are worth their value.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'd rather have one high tech alternator over stock twin alternators on a Ford because of the heat alone much less the better regulator but a Sprinter is a different beast. It might be an option. Probably some research is in order. Twin high tech alternators might be a different story...just don't know.
The biggest motivator to get the second alternator mount on a Sprinter is that the stock alternator is controlled by the car computer over the CANBUS, which means you play heck trying to install an intelligent alternator controller for the house battery bank. With a second alternator, you can get an excellent controller and make your house batteries very happy. When the batteries are happy, Mama's happy. And you know what happens when Mama's NOT happy, right?
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #26

Quote:
The biggest motivator to get the second alternator mount on a Sprinter is that the stock alternator is controlled by the car computer over the CANBUS, which means you play heck trying to install an intelligent alternator controller for the house battery bank.
Kind of a concern of mine too. I got this reply from Sterling. "The A to B puts a load on the alternator, so it ought to trick the alternator into working like there is a normal load (windshield / head lamps
/ stereo etc) - So I think it shouldn't make a difference."

Concerned when a company say they "think"

Second alternator starts getting a little involved. $$$ Just the second alternator bracket is 400
FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #27

Quote:
......cut......
Second alternator starts getting a little involved. $$$ Just the second alternator bracket is 400
To me it also sounds more involved, although I feel based on limited information I'd be in part trading electrical for mechanical complexity. And with mechanical I tend to view it as a one-time problem -- once initial installation is done I'd expect a more robust, stable, and reliable system. I'll admit some personal bias here.

As I've expressed in other threads, one feature of a second-generator stand-alone option I would consider strongly is using 24 volts (or possibly higher) to reduce current. The biggest drawback I can see to this is not being able to connect to vehicle system as emergency backup, but since my intent would be to segregate the electrical systems in the first place, I'd rely on jumper cables off one battery if ever needed to start the van.

Good luck and let us know which system/components you go with.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Kind of a concern of mine too. I got this reply from Sterling. "The A to B puts a load on the alternator, so it ought to trick the alternator into working like there is a normal load (windshield / head lamps
/ stereo etc) - So I think it shouldn't make a difference."
A load is a load. The ECU doesn't know where the load is coming from. As long as the aux batt wiring is large enough, it will cause a voltage drop in the rest of the system and cause ALT output to go up. The only quirk I've seen in the E450s with the PCM-regulated charging system is it won't charge the aux batteries until the starting battery has reached a sufficient charge. In other words it gets priority, then they all get paralleled together. I don't know if MB uses a similar strategy.

On a side note: Intermotive does make a CAN-BUS interface for Fords which can allow independent charge control (and any other system really). They do not list it for other vehicles however.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
....cut....

On a side note: Intermotive does make a CAN-BUS interface for Fords which can allow independent charge control (and any other system really). They do not list it for other vehicles however.
Any idea on cost? I couldn't find it but I'm interested in comparing total costs for various types of systems.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Any idea on cost? I couldn't find it but I'm interested in comparing total costs for various types of systems.
No idea. I do see their stuff in nearly all commercial-duty E-series bodies.

http://www.intermotive.net/