Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Sprinter 4 cyl Alternator recomendation

If I understand correctly the new 4 cyl can be had with 200, 220 or 250 Amp alternator. With fuel economy being a high priority what would be recommended? Would a 400 AH battery bank be Bulk charged in a few hundred miles with the smaller alternators. Thanks

FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Sprinter 4 cyl Alternator recomendation

My solar (twin 135 panels) generally has my two 4D batteries up to par by 9-10AM in good sun. I see about 10 amps in standard sunlight. Alternators don't top off batteries but puts them close. A combo of alternator charge and solar is a good combination.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #3

I don't want solar.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl
If I understand correctly the new 4 cyl can be had with 200, 220 or 250 Amp alternator. With fuel economy being a high priority what would be recommended? Would a 400 AH battery bank be Bulk charged in a few hundred miles with the smaller alternators. Thanks
Well, I would go for the 250, although you may want to compare the specs, such as idle output and such. It really depends on how much you have discharged your batteries, as to length of time to charge.

There are also products such as Sterling Power Alternator to Battery Charger that would decrease the time: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...sterling+power

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Your concern appears to be based on fuel economy - you will see no appreciable difference with any of those alternators. 250 would be my choice, but not something I would give much thought to.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
I don't want solar.
My post was an amperage comparison.
As others have posted it all depends on the total Ah of the batteries you put in the van, how low they are, how much amperage your van itself uses. If you have added load, your stock alternator will take longer to charge and it will depend all that's written above and the alternators output. I found my stock alternator wasn't enough to supply a positive charge while driving with the normal engine load and the add on air conditioner running. I don't have a clue what the Sprinter conversion pulls amperage wise. If the alternator supplies enough to run the van and supplies a positive charge of about 10 amps that would be reasonable and should charge up a 440Ah battery bank from 50% discharge in a few of hours. Start kicking on things like an inverter, refrigerator or other items inside the conversion and it subtracts from the battery charging. A higher rated alternator is generally a good choice just because of all the extra load the conversion itself uses. Also alternator charging supplies a quick bulk rate but tapers off during the absorption state so they'll actually never reach full. As Greg pointed out, equipment like the Sterling alternator to battery charger will better regulate the charge over what a stock alternator can. If you don't want solar the Sterling unit is a good choice.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

I will have the Magnum MS2000 as well.

I thought I had read somewhere that the larger Alternator might sacrifice 1-2 MPG. Seemed high
Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Maybe post up in the Sprinter section. There might be some Sprinter owners who frequent that section more than the rest of the site. I agree, it seems high.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
I will have the Magnum MS2000 as well.

I thought I had read somewhere that the larger Alternator might sacrifice 1-2 MPG. Seemed high
Doesn't take any more power to spin a larger alternator unless you are drawing more current from it. In which case, that's why you wanted the bigger one. Amp for amp, they are going to draw essentially the same HP from the engine.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

I got the 250 amp alternator.y plan is to use the Sterling 400 amp alternator to battery charger to charge 399 ah LiFeP04 batteries. No solar, assuming all works as planned.

John
14 2500 170
In process of conversion

Formerly: '03 7.3,q4x4, E350
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote