Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Starcool II blower switch

The Starcool II low, med, high switch when turned on is dead. It doesn't turn on the blower or condenser motors. Just silence.

I sure could use some help finding the 12v power supply fuse for my 1995 Dodge Starcool II. I have the Electrical Schematic and have checked the 20Amp Fuses on the Starcool board under the steering column, they are good.

The Schematic shows a (30A power supply fuse that feeds the board, but it appears that it is Not located on the Starcool board) Lost like a puppy in high weeds!

Any of you electrical guys know here is it located??

Terry

soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Not sure if yours has it or not, but my Starcool (1998) has a small black-box circuit breaker, with a very tiny reset switch, under my dinette seat along with the other relays and stuff. Might check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringhawk View Post
The Starcool II low, med, high switch when turned on is dead. It doesn't turn on the blower or condenser motors. Just silence.

I sure could use some help finding the 12v power supply fuse for my 1995 Dodge Starcool II. I have the Electrical Schematic and have checked the 20Amp Fuses on the Starcool board under the steering column, they are good.

The Schematic shows a (30A power supply fuse that feeds the board, but it appears that it is Not located on the Starcool board) Lost like a puppy in high weeds!

Any of you electrical guys know here is it located??

Terry
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Thanks Brian,

You got me to the right place. I found the re-settable breaker under the seat that connects to the fuse box. Upon careful investigation I noticed that the 30A fuses were mislabeled. It turned out the the 30A that goes to the Starcool relay panel was labeled 15A Furnace. Looks like the original labels.

Problem solved. Replaced 30A fuse and am keeping a eye on it to see why it blew in the first place.

Thanks for getting me to the right place. I was thinking it was in a wire leading to the relay panel. Never would have thought to look in the house battery area.

Thanks again, Terry
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringhawk View Post
. It turned out the the 30A that goes to the Starcool relay panel was labeled 15A Furnace. Looks like the original labels.
Problem solved. Replaced 30A fuse and am keeping a eye on it to see why it blew in the first place.
You might want to check the wire size to make sure it is adequate for 30a. Replacing a 15a with a 30a can be risky business. Hopefully its as you said, just mislabled, but if the wire is undersized, it's a serious fire hazard.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

i don't have a schematic for Starcool II only Starcool III, but I would assume their would be some similarities. If you really have a furnace I would assume that your thermostat is wired wrong, and that you are picking up the 12 volts from the furnace circuit. Again, I expect that their may be some differences, the startcool III is totally isolated from the normal house fuse panel. And no, I would not replace the 15 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse without a better understanding of your problem..

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Artictraveller & scalf77 thank you for both of your comments. It turns out that the label was indeed incorrect since there is no furnace in the van. Also, the fuse that was installed was 30A and wire size appears to be heavy enough to do the job. It's the original that has been in the van for 22 years. Wire is staying cool too. Good ideas!

Thanks, Terry