Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #1

Starcool Operation Help Please

I have a very nice 1998 Dodge Sportsmobile which I purchased a couple of years ago. I need some advice regarding Starcool operation and elec switches. I learned from reading the Forum and talking to Sportsmobile that it is best to run the starcool when driving. I had been just using the dash air when driving - thought I was conserving energy (duh!)

Here are the questions: My unit has the switch behind the driver's seat so it's easy to power off the starcool.

1). should i keep the starcool fan on low and then just turn off using switch? Someone in the forum said to keep fan on low but turn off the termostat. Not sure why and what this means exactly. Mine is set on Cool. Hot Texas weather!
2). Should the starcool switch be turned off before turning off the engine? I forgot today and the starcool kept running after the engine turned off but I think it might fry the inverter due to load.
3) electrical control panel - my manual said to keep all switches in the electrical panel to off while driving (or at least switch off the main switch which turns off the others). I have 5 switches (main breaker, lights, air cond, hot water heater and one other (maybe plugs). Do any of these switches need to be on if operating the starcool while driving? I assume not since this is 110V power related.

Any help is much appreciated. I only use my Sportsmobile on occasions (crazy work schedule) so I tend to forget how to operate it correctly.

merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Re: Starcool Operation Help Please

Quote:
1). should i keep the starcool fan on low and then just turn off using switch? Someone in the forum said to keep fan on low but turn off the termostat. Not sure why and what this means exactly. Mine is set on Cool. Hot Texas weather!
2). Should the starcool switch be turned off before turning off the engine? I forgot today and the starcool kept running after the engine turned off but I think it might fry the inverter due to load.
3) electrical control panel - my manual said to keep all switches in the electrical panel to off while driving (or at least switch off the main switch which turns off the others). I have 5 switches (main breaker, lights, air cond, hot water heater and one other (maybe plugs). Do any of these switches need to be on if operating the starcool while driving? I assume not since this is 110V power related.
I uploaded a manual but it appears you already have one.

Answer 1, the thermostat does not work when running on 12 volts (vehicle power). The switch they are talking about refers to one added usually behind the drivers left shoulder. I believe that this was an upgrade that was done in 2000 so your 1998 Starcool may not have it. It is referenced on page 4 of the manual attached. If you do not have it, you will have to rely on the back van blower switch to turn it (off-on). Kind of a nuisance, which is why I believe they made the modification they did in 2000.

Answer 2, Yes you should turn it off before you turn off the engine, the various blowers that are still running off of 12 volts will continue to blow, the air-conditioner at work would be VAN which would now be off. The inverter should not come into play with the Starcool while the engine is running. But if you had all of your electrical breakers on (question 3) , had the thermostat set to cool and below existing temperature, and you had your inverter in invert mode then yes it would probably try to run off of the inverter, which the inverter can not supply. So you would probably end up with an overload condition on the inverter.

Answer 3,
I would say to have the breaker for the Starcool should always be in the off position while driving. Your decision on the others would be dependent on if you had anything plugged into 110 that you need to run.

hope this helps

greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sportsmobile Starcool III.pdf (3.32 MB, 66 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Thanks Greg - this helps a lot! My 98 does have the master switch for the Starcool behind the drivers seat so it is easy for me to turn off before killing the engine. Regarding the elec switches, I always turn all off before driving and don't turn back on until I've connected to shore power.

It definitely makes the air at lot cooler by running the starcool with the van air. I read somewhere that it prevents the freon from pooling or something like that. Guess I should have read the manual a little closer.
merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Greg seems on course. My 06 starcool III uses the existing Ford air to run while driving. I MUST use the starcool with the stock system. The thermostat cycles in the 110vAC compressor which has nothing to do with the 12vDC part of it, but if the inverter is on, I'm told it will attempt to run the extra compressor. Have I tried it? No. I keep the thermostat in the off position especially if the inverter is on unless I'm on shore power.

Just remember, you might have the AC compressor, or not. You might not even have the system that ties into the stock air.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote