Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Starter Wire Color?

Anyone got starter interrupt wire color and location for an alarm install handy? Install guide for alarm in the Fords?

I'm trying to make a diagram of starter interrupts and might as well get the wires correct.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Re: Starter Wire Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Anyone got starter interrupt wire color and location for an alarm install handy? Install guide for alarm in the Fords?

I'm trying to make a diagram of starter interrupts and might as well get the wires correct.
The only ones I have used are on the steering column next to the key switch. Huge thick bundle of 5 or so wires of large gauge, big white rectangular connector, can't miss it. I seem to remember White/Pink is the Starter. ie cut that and no matter what you do, you'll never start the van without re-connecting it.
Quick search seemed to confirm the color.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... ~TID~83000

Also, after I cut all mine up and re-soldered them for the alarm install, I found out that Ford sell an extension to this plug for their own alarm. (Think it was an F truck), so rather than cutting the factory wiring you could buy the plug-extension and cut that up. That way you can always just unplug the alarm and go back to stock, rather than having to re-solder a bunch of wires.

-- edit --

Quick search, it's called an Ignition T harness, but not sure if it's a FD-2 or FD-3 harness for the E series.
This is what it looks like

http://www.amazon.com/T-Harness-Ford-Ap ... B0004FQ12C
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #3

Alright, for anyone who is interested here is what I came up with:

These are various options for interrupting the starter. The power sources can be replaced with existing power sources, and the switches can be mixed with existing switches, put on a separate panel or skipped all together. Mix and match for unlimited options.

Here is a developed version, with 5 switches, 3 must be on, 2 off and if you set them wrong and hit the key a fuse will blow disabling the system.

Of course this has the same problem as any alarm or such system, which is that if the starter wires can be located and tied together, everything is moot.

The way it's designed I was playing with getting the swtiches to light, however they light when the first switch is on and the key is turned. In retrospect, it would be better to light them with key-on instead of key-start + switch 1, but I'm too tired to rework the diagram as it changes where all the power comes from.

You can of course substitute non-lighted switches, push buttons, or dual position to make things more complex as well.

Follow blindly at your own risk!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Why not turn off the power to the fuel pump instead?

It will still turn over, but will never start. And no obvious place for the thief to start looking for the reason.

Or disrupt the signal to the Fuel Injection Control Module. Same logic.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
with 5 switches, 3 must be on, 2 off and if you set them wrong and hit the key a fuse will blow disabling the system.
Neat idea. Wish I'd thought of it. Wait a minute? I did.
DIY anti-thief device

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote