Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Starting batts 6.0L Diesel

Looks like time is up for my starting batteries on 2009 6L diesel van. Getting a bit challenging in the mornings now. Got the gauges up and running before start the other morning when it was 5 degrees and engine heater connected and they showed the battery level at 11.8v and once I hit the starter, they hit down to 8.2v. That ain't gonna last much longer.

Priced some Ford dealer 850cca batteries at $140 each which seems like a really good deal to me. Local shop I use for engine stuff quoted me some Interstates at 750cca for $160 each. Ford batteries OK? Any horror stories on them?

Looking under the van and knowing how my arthritis in my left hand is hurting, I'll pay the shops to do the install.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

Low battery voltages (or alternator voltage) will eventually destroy the 6.0 Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) power supply. Especially if it's a basic Ford FICM. I recommend which ever choice will get them done sooner. I have no experience with either Ford or Interstate batteries.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Odyssey AGM PC1750 is still considered the best. https://www.batterymart.com/p-odysse...0-battery.html
It was also re-branded and sold as the Sears Diehard but is no longer available and East Penn now makes the batteries for Sears. A motorcraft battery that you buy over the counter at the Ford dealership is not the same as OE and actually doesn't have a very good rep. Optima are hit or miss as well. Seems you either get a good one or a bad one.

Interstates in my experience have been decent but I did get a bad one that went out during warranty. Now I've got a set of Napa batteries simply because there's a NAPA store in every town.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #4

I'm in the same boat. Been shopping around and Costco has Group 65 batteries at $92ea made by Interstate. I would assume they are built the same as retail batteries. Not looking forward to the change either due to the location of batteries, but it needs to be done.

On a similar note, anybody happen to know the length of the security cables holding the battery box to the frame rails, from eyelet center to eyelet center? Am considering making some replacements. For some reason someone in my van's past cut all 4 cables!?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

It's a PIA but the nice thing about the batteries being mounted along the frame rail is they are not in the engine compartment. Heat kills batteries.

Costco has an awesome return policy. Either way, replace both batteries or the weak one will kill the new one as well as the alternator having to work double time.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post
On a similar note, anybody happen to know the length of the security cables holding the battery box to the frame rails, from eyelet center to eyelet center? Am considering making some replacements. For some reason someone in my van's past cut all 4 cables!?
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

Thanks all. Now I know where my money is going this weekend.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #8

Decided to do the Interstate batteries. Shop said they would be glad to do NAPA or Interstate and they had no probs with any Interstates. Even said that a lot of NAPA locations are carrying Interstate as well and that will come in handy for any warranty replacements. Thanks all.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

Went with the Interstates. Holy sheeit he sure starts up nice now. Guess it was really past time for those other batteries. Now I need to look into a good trickle charger to keep them topped off. Will have to put the charger inside some protection from the snow that doesn't seem to be falling very much. Could happen but this is a really dry winter in SW Colorado.