Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Subwoofer Recommendations in SMB

I have a Bazooka sub in my car. I would love to add a sub to my SMB.
- I do not want a Bazooka as it takes up too much space.
- I want to place it somewhere for good sound location (like middle of SMB), yet not take up valuable space. There is a 6" space behind the microwave. I can also place it under the dinette
- I was also thinking a 2.1 computer speaker set might work OK too. If it is 12V and I can plug into an LCD TV...would be perfect.

Any recommendations/experience?

Thanks in advance!

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #2

I have a 10" dual input a/d/s/ in a slim enclosure pointed at the rear of the drivers seat. Acoustically, the small cabinet is not the most efficient, but works well enough for me.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about camping: I drive 2 hours out into the middle of nowhere, and some other camper imagines he's a rapper DJ. Has the dance music cranked up. No place you can go in the whole campground to escape his racket, and it's illegal to shoot him, at least in California.

Sorry but the reason I drive 2 hours into the desert is to get away from the noise. This is one reason why I want to get our 2WD unit as off-road ready as possible, so we can steer clear of the noisy and crowded campgrounds. Hopefully there is some wide open space far far away from the noise.

Anyway sorry for the rant. I hope you'll use your subwoofer responsibly, and not give us SMB owners a "bad rap."
Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Settle down Lowracer.

IF I'm listening to music while camping, it is very low and typically if I'm closed up inside. You need the sub and amp to hear / feel any undistorted music over the roar of the diesel on the open road.

Otherwise I agree with you. I just don't jump to the generalizations.

Cheers!

Phil

Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #5

I'm with lowracer. I didn't think there was anything worse than the midwest arseholes who blare country music to the whole campground all night, then I woke up in California to thumpin ghetto rap.

I like Yessurr as much as the next guy, but NOT when camping, and NOT from someone else's stereo, and especially not at 8 am from someone who doesn't have a clue about the most basic courtesy.

I was lucky enough to be able to move clear across the campground and get away from it, but seriously someday someone is going to make me angry enough to do something I'll regret. My blood is boiling just thinking about how pissed off this makes me.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #6

Oh I'm settled down, just hijacking this thread for my rant. Sorry about that.

I think the world would be a better place to live in if killing wasn't a crime, that is, if it could be easily and quickly justified. And it wouldn't require a trial, just explain to the police at the scene, and you're free to go.

For example you couldn't just go strangle someone just because you felt like it, that would still be a crime. But if someone was waking you up in the middle of the night with their loud music in a remote campground, you'd just explain this to the responding officer, get a couple witnesses to corroborate it and he'd say "Well, obviously the SOB deserved it. Good job, enjoy the rest of your camping trip."

Think about how much more polite our society would be if killing weren't a crime. "Please" and "thank you" and common courtesy would come back in a hurry. There'd be a lot fewer arseholes in the world too, I'm betting these would disappear in the first 24-48 hours.

This is the way the world would be if I were king. Vote for me. Write in "lowracer" on your 2008 ballot.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #7

Lowracer - You have my vote for king as long as you don't kill me for simple possession of a subwoofer mounted in my van.

I never thought a picture of a subwoofer could cause such emotion. Makes me wonder what else I have in my van I should keep secret from the group?!

Yet we digress.

Happy Holidays!

Phil

Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #8

Phil,
What else do you have in your van that will bring on a crowd of angry peasants with pitchforks?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #9

He was just asking about a sub woofer, not one of those loud speakers on top of your car like the ones you see cruising the streets in mexico. I too have been looking for a location for a sub. Thanks for posting the question.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #10

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Thanks Phil,
That looks like a good spot. That is a real tight spot in my SMB, The original owner was short and there is not much room there for me and a sub
I'm also going to look under the dash to see if a thin one can be placed there. I do not use the glove box. Under the passenger seat might work too.

I am considerating 12V computer 2.1 speakers.
- I would have to get a stereo with a line out (stock Chrysler tape player now) and see if the sub is powerfull enough(not likely, but anthing helps).
- Another reason for this is to tie the 2.1 speakers to a small LCD TV. The portable DVD player we have now is not loud enough to sound good while driving...kids got to watch movies.
- A computer sub is small and would likely fit under the dinette seat nicely too.

As the the rant on noise and camping...
- Reguardless of a sub, any stereo can cause the same pollution. But to enjoy music today, a sub is necessary in my humble opinion.
- We usually watch TV when camping...but for tailgating music it is a must. Bigger the Sub the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
I have a 10" dual input a/d/s/ in a slim enclosure pointed at the rear of the drivers seat. Acoustically, the small cabinet is not the most efficient, but works well enough for me.

Phil

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote