Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
I agree with Greg. If you had battery problems the solar would never be able to keep up either. In full sun with no load being used, the voltage should reach about 13.5-14.5 or so keeping the separator closed w/o cycling.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #22

I recently had a problem with my charging system and thought it was my BS 7622, after many hours messing around with it and the wiring while on the phone with the blue Seas technician it wound up being a corroded battery terminal.
Be sure to take apart every single connection, clean it and put it back together before throwing money at anything.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
When the engine is running at idle, the alternator can not provide enough current to keep the voltage above the set point, so you hear it disconnect and then the voltage rises and the it connects again. Then the cycle continues, sounds like you have a pretty good load on the system while the engine is running, I would try to reduce that load as much as possible.

Also make sure that you get the house battery fully charged (on shore power). The state of charge on your house battery will also come into play.

-greg
Thanks!

I had it in the shop. They could replicate the voltage drop but not to a point that its would cycle.

But, in testing, they found the ground wire was extremely hot and under gauge. Ground wire gauge was increased and the result was about 1V higher house battery voltage.

I guess it was a combination of a too high load with poor grounding causing the house battery to drop too low.

Seems fine so far.
ssk109 is offline   Reply With Quote