Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #21

Well, I got back to the van today, and for what ever reason, the door locks were working just fine. While I'm happy I didn't have to cut open a cabinet to gain access to the module, I now have no idea what the problem was, or if it will return. At least the fix was easy. Thanks for all the ideas....

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #22

The devil has taken over my door locks

Great story Wade! I hope you can laugh at it now. It certainly gave me a chuckle. That's my kind of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #23

Could be a short in the group of things that include your locks, your overhead dome lights, your side mirror controls and of all things the vanity lights on your window visors - which is where my door lock problem stemmed from. Each of these groups needs to be tested individually. Ford shop finally pinned my issue down. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #24

At least I finally have a reason to covet my manual windows and locks!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #25

I had this same issue a couple weeks ago in my 2014 E-250 work van. The first day or so I came to the van a couple times and thought, did I lock it? Then it happened monday, on a jobsite, keys in the van, 45 mins from the shop, who apparently didn't have a spare anyway. One of our duct guys from the city showed me how a stiff thin piece of metal fits nicely past the door seal and just lines itself up with the door unlock button, first try.

It was raining that day and I had some water on my armrest as the sky was clear when we showed up and my window was open. However, the days prior when it locked itself were fairly dry. I do know that I had been using my key fob a lot so it may have been the remote battery with low voltage. Same thing as you stated, mind of it's own, repeated locking/unlocking, buttons didn't work right, etc. for the next few days, really aggravating. Problem went away after a week.

Sounds like it was water, I am really careful with the windows now. I also keep a key in my wallet
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustywolf View Post
Could be a short in the group of things that include your locks, your overhead dome lights, your side mirror controls and of all things the vanity lights on your window visors - which is where my door lock problem stemmed from. Each of these groups needs to be tested individually. Ford shop finally pinned my issue down. Good luck.
Finding a constant short (or open) in a circuit can be a challenge in general, but troubleshooting intermittent problems can be a real nightmare. If it is not happening when someone is testing, then you can be at a huge disadvantage.

Some technical folks will just start using a shotgun approach at that time, which can get very expensive, very quickly (often without resolving the problem). A good tech may know what is prone to failure, or have knowledge / experience with similar failures and recognize the described symptoms, but a really good tech can be a rare find..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #27

I need to go to bed, I am so tired I forgot the final important issue. My rear door switch. The last day I was having issues my cabin lights wouldn't go off. Turns out the switch had been jammed in too far and barely making contact. I rotated the switch clockwise to wind the wires one way and stop them from twisting too much when I unscrewed the nut the switch is in. Then I managed to force the switch out farther to its original position.

All in all I think the switch losing contact told the security system that someone had opened the door without unlocking it because I had used the fob to lock it and used my spare to open the van because it had locked my keys in when presumably the switch lost contact so it locked itself assuming a break in. So when I started the van it went nuts! security light came on and I thought I would be screwed. Then the cab lights wouldn't go off, it's 7pm, pitch black, and I had worked 3 hours late and am almost an hour away from the shop and still have paperwork to do and parts to order and now I can't see out the windshield because the damn cabin lights are on! Taped some pennies to the switch until I fixed it the next day.

I can't say for certain that the door switch was the only problem, I don't know when I jammed it in as I often have a full cargo area and stuff that needs to be shoved in to close the door like a teenagers bedroom closet, but I can say I haven't had any issues since.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #28

I thought I would update the failed exorcism of the demons inhabitating my remote keyless entry. Since I left Alaska a couple weeks ago, the door locks would again start randomly locking and unlocking themselves, sometimes in the middle of the night. During that time, it was almost always below freezing, mostly cold inside at night, and kinda damp. The issue went away for a bit in the beginning, but returned full time shortly after that. So, I lived with it, figuring that when I got to Wa, where my wiring diagrams, shop manuals and tools were, I could logically troubleshoot the problem. That sounded great at the time, but not so much now, as while I now have all the tools to find the problem,... there is no problem. No sooner did I get to Wa, but the problem went away. Some of most difficult trouble shooting issues are the intermittent ones, it's a lot harder to fix something that's working fine at the moment. So, after looking at the wiring diagrams a bit, I'll be checking all the grounds first, hopefully finding something obvous, or next I'll begin plotting how I'll access the RKE module behind the cabinets. Right now my money's on moisture affecting the connectors on the module, or the module it's self.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #29

Have you checked all of the door switches? It's pretty easy. At the least take a look at each one to see if it has been jammed/bent.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Have you checked all of the door switches? It's pretty easy. At the least take a look at each one to see if it has been jammed/bent.
Yup, all the switches seem fine. It seems odd to be hoping the problem will come back, but I've only got a couple weeks before we head out for Utah and I'd like to find the problem now. If I don't get it fixed, I'll be bringing all my manuals and electrical tools this time so I can trouble shoot on the road if need be.
Advanced 4wd