Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 04:52 AM   #31

Well, so you don't get locked out get some copies of your key made. I keep a copy in my wallet. Might not be a bad idea to hide a copy under the frame. And you can always use a thin piece of metal through the door jamb to hit the unlock button.

skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Well, so you don't get locked out get some copies of your key made. I keep a copy in my wallet. Might not be a bad idea to hide a copy under the frame. And you can always use a thin piece of metal through the door jamb to hit the unlock button.
It's always a good idea to have a hidden key somewhere. Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #33

My power door locks only work when the key is in ignition and clicked over one step or when engine is running.....remote doesn't work and none of the door mounted unlock/lock switches will work unless key is in....anybody have a clue on this one? thanks!!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #34

Did you change the battery in the key fob? If so it maybe the bcm for the power door locks.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #35

A quick update on this problem. As soon as I got to warmer climates the problem went away, and has not come back all summer. With winter on it's way, I'm worried it will return, but since I'll be spending less time in below freezing weather, I hope I won't see the problem again. Cold weather causes metal to shrink, so perhaps really cold temps loosened a connection or something. Time will tell.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #36

I had the same problem on a 03 SMB E250

It was discovered that the rear door lock switch and wiring was stuffed inside the rear door and eventually had slid down and operated the finger switch inside the door.
making everything useless.

Check that.

Disclaimer - I didn't read all the posts. this problem may have been discussed.
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #37
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Just came across this thread....not sure how I missed it.
Anyway, I’ve got similar issues, anytime it rains my locks go haywire, they usually will lock themselves immediately after unlocking with the aftermarket alarm key fob.
It goes away once things dry out, annoying for sure. Haven’t gotten locked out yet, and when it happens I make sure to keep the keys on me or pop the side window open to be able to access the side door lock. I think I may need to put an extra key on the frame for piece of mind. I had thought it way my Clifford alarm module getting moisture in it, maybe not.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Just came across this thread....not sure how I missed it.
Anyway, I’ve got similar issues, anytime it rains my locks go haywire, they usually will lock themselves immediately after unlocking with the aftermarket alarm key fob.
The main suspect here is the RKE module (remote keyless entry) located just behind the drivers seat behind the paneling, (or cabinets in my case). Lots of folks have mentioned moisture being an issue, but in my case, since temps were well below freezing when this happened, I doubt that liquid water had infiltrated the unit. Perhaps, when it's very cold, the contacts on the plug shrink enough to loosen the connections, but I really have no idea. With winter closing in, I may have to dig deeper into the issue, but since it's unlikely there will be any problems in Baja, I'm safe for now.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #39

So I've got what I think is an RKE problem, but not sure.

It started with a couple of random cyclings of the locks. (Conditions were neither wet nor cold, but it seems sometimes these things just go nuts for no good reason?)
Then it sounds like it starts cycling constantly. Click-click....click-click...
But..the locks aren't changing. I'm still hearing what sounds like the sound of locks opening/closing but none of them are. The sound is a little fainter than when all of the locks actually open and close, and sounds like maybe it's coming from behind the driver's seat.
It was late and I didn't have time to try to figure it out and was a dumbass and didn't think to disconnect the battery. So it was dead this morning. I put a charge on it and the clicking seems to have gone away for now.

My suspicion is the RKE module, but it seems weird that I would be hearing a mechanical clicking noise. I'd have thought it was a purely electrical component- sending signals to the locks, which do the mechanical movement.

Anyone have any insight?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #40
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The RKE Module is largely electronic but it still makes mechanical clicking noise when activated. I've not taken one apart but I'll bet searching YouTube might find a few videos showing how to service or repair an RKE.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote