Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
The hanging fuse mystery....

By any chance does anyone have this type of fuse setup in their rig? From day one my dome/courtesy light hasn't worked so I thought I'd try to track down the problem. Then I find this fuse just hanging under the dash by the fuse box. Looking at the owners manual all fuses seem to be in place in the fuse box. I'm just at a loss as what this might go to.

Ric

Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Couldn't help you since I have yet to find, let alone identify every fuse in our SMB. I don't even have dome/courtesy lights.

The two spades on that connector looks like they should plug into an existing fuse location.

Herb
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

Well that is not powered and clearly meant to go in a powered fuse slot- I say hook some 12v up to the prongs and see if your dome light works.

Second look for an empty slot in the fuse box, possibly not labeled.

If not it probably goes in the dome light slot in place of the fuse that isn't in there, probably a 5 amp - which might not be the fuse that is in there.

One fuse goes to the red wire and one to the 2nd prong, so there is a right way and an upside down way- it will work upside down but both draws will go through one fuse so it might work, but will probably blow regularly. If that was happening the PO might have pulled the splitter and put a normal fuse in.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #4

It could be auxillary lighting. I have something similar near the steering column that went to to my Hellas. I disconnected mine and rewired to a relay. and just left the 2 fuses/holder there (maybe the PO did this too???)

However, mine were dual 15amp fuses (for halogen lights). Do you have any exterior LED lighting? 5 amp is more likely for low draw like LED lighting.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

The wiring under the dash is kinda like a spider web. Just trying to make heads or tails of it got me all cross-eyed. I don't have any exterior LED lighting but the low draw makes sense. I thought about pulling an existing fuse and then try to plug the double fuse in that spot but I'm not sure if I'd be doing more harm than good. Jage, you also made a good point about there being a right way and an upside down way...I'll keep that in mind. I'll head outside and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ric
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #6

First thing I would try for the dome light is the dash dimmer switch. For some reason, the dimmer switch must be full bright or the dome light won't work. Turn it all the way and try the dome lights again.

I had to call SMB to find out why my dome lights wouldn't work.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #7

Defeat!...and I'm not talking about my stinky one's either.

Mike, I tried turning the dimmer switch like you suggested...no luck. I went to pull the fuse for the dome light and no sooner did I start to pull it out...it blew. So I bought a few more fuses and now soon as I start to push the new fuse in...it blows. I tell you what...this whole thing blows! I emailed SMB in Austin...no reply yet. So the hanging fuse will continue to hang...the dome light will continue to do what it does best...not work, and I won't attempt to install anymore fuses in that slot until I need to disconnect the battery for something.

Jage...you mentioned hooking up some 12v to the prongs on that hanging fuse...my mind is fried from tinkering with this most of the day so how would you go about doing that?

Ric
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Ric,

Your rig is a 2008 ... correct?

I would have to assume that our wiring would be similar.
BUT our dome light has always worked fine in each of three switch settings.

Can you take another photo that gives us some perspective of where this wire and two fuse socket is situated?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #9

You're correct Greg...it's a 2008. The wire and fuse is hanging down right in front of the fuse block which is located just left of the brake pedal on the firewall. There are about 6 empty fuse slots that aren't being used and I tried plugging into each of them with no luck. When I did the walk through with Kevin at delivery he noticed the dome light wasn't working and said he would look at it while I was wrapping up the paperwork with Paul but I totally forgot to check it before I pulled off.

Ric
Old 11-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #10

2008 rig?

If your rig is a 2008, you can look at this topic
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2018

I have posted a picture of the correct wiring for the dome light of a 2008 per SMB West.

It just takes a minute to pull away the bezel and unscrew the fixture. I'd take a look and make sure that it isn't something basic.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote