Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #1

This AGM Battery Any Good?

I have dual factory Ford underbody battery boxes mounted on the frame. My house batteries need to be replaced as they're only holding 11.5v

I was going to buy 2 Duracell 34M batteries from sams club for $120 each but they're only 55ah

I searched and found these Bosch AGM group 65 which is the perfect size for the battery boxes.

https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/838869/00314

Are these ok house batteries for $150 each?

Any other options I should look at?

Thanks!

caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #2

I can't say it's bad, but you might want to look and see if they are deep cycle vs starter batteries or dual purpose.

Not sure how big your battery boxes are, but check the Duracell Deep Cycle Marine/RV.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #3

Hmm. It doesn't say on the website so I'm guessing just starting.

Here's the other

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/duracell-a...gm/prod3590225
Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #4

This AGM Battery Any Good?

I've had three of the Duracell AGM 31 deep-cycle RV batteries for going on five years now, in a custom box under my dinette. At 105ah each they have always met my needs. Probably time to replace them this year, but they still work pretty well. At around $170 each for an AGM battery it's a great deal IMO.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Agreed. I've got a Duracell 4d on my van now that I got from Batteries plus for a great price. As long as it's a deep cycle it is made by East Penn/Deka and is a great battery.

The basic Duracell starting batteries, as I understand it, are the same as every other parts store battery made much more cheaply by Johnson Controls or similar.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Interesting... I was just looking online at replacing my Duracell Group 31 AGMs, and noticed that BatteriesPlus is also selling a similar battery, but with a 30-month free replacement warranty instead of the 18-month warranty that Sam's Club offers. But they charge more for the battery to start with (otherwise, it looks the same).

So, maybe $60 (or $36 if a coupon is used) for an extra year's warranty is worth it? I don't know. Sam's equals out to $10 per month, vs. $7.20/month for Batteries+ when considering warranty coverage (i.e., if the battery only lasts as long as the warranty, that's the per-month cost). I've never dealt with Batteries+, so I don't know how good they are at honoring battery warranties. Sam's is pretty good.

Sam's Club @ $180: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...prod3590232.ip

BatteriesPlus @ $240 (often they have 10%-off coupons, which would drop this to $216): https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../sli31dtmagmdc
Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
...I've never dealt with Batteries+, so I don't know how good they are at honoring battery warranties. Sam's is pretty good...
Proximity of either store to where you live and where you might travel is important. If it fails somewhere where you can't readily replace it, what good is the warranty?

Herb
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #8

I'm also considering dual 6v setup but they're all too tall to fit in the boxes.

Didn't know battery choices can be so difficult
Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Team

I hope the Bosch AGMs are good, I have one in my Crown Vic, but it's only a few months old, and it's just used as a starting battery, not a deep cycle.

Herb
Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Proximity of either store to where you live and where you might travel is important. If it fails somewhere where you can't readily replace it, what good is the warranty?

Herb
Well, yeah, there's that. It used to be that Sam's only sold the Duracell AGMs east of the Mississippi, but I think they sell them nationwide now. Batteries+ is nationwide, but probably only in larger areas.

My thinking is that Sam's Club is probably more lenient on testing and battery warranty returns, if they are anything like Walmart in that regard.