Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #21

Re: Trickle charger for starter battery

Correct though the number I have seen is North of 13.6. Anything less will continue to promote sulhication. However to get to the float state AGMs need more, much more and 14.4 is a number I recall. Then there is the issue of whether float is a continuous charge of some de minimus amount or nothing until volatge falls below 12.? - I think its 12.8, and then start the cycle again at 13.6 for regular LA and 14.4 for AGM.

The chemistry actually varies from cell to cell and we speak here is absolutes whereas each cell really requires a different charge depending on its condition. Part of the Boeing 787 problem in fact where nothing but average absolutes was known before the battery imploded.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Well, like I said, voltages can vary from brand to brand and design types.

From the lifeline web site:

Battery Charging:
WARNING: All batteries must be adequately vented during charging to avoid accumulation of explosive hydrogen gasses. Never install or charge in a sealed container or room.

The following charging voltages are recommended for maximum battery life for all Lifeline models.

__________________________________________________ _
Charging Phase 2V Battery -------6V Battery ---------12V Battery
Bulk/Absorb - 2.37v - 2.40v ------7.10v - 7.20v ------14.2v - 14.4v
Float ----------2.20v - 2.23v ------6.60v - 6.70v ------13.20v - 13.40v

NOTES:
1. Use midpoint values for most applications. Lower voltages may be suitable for light-duty applications and higher voltages may be suitable for heavy duty applications.
2. For 24 Volt Systems, multiply 12 Volt setting by 2.
3. Charge voltage should be adjusted if battery temperature varies by more than 10°F from 77°F. Consult website for further guidance (http://www.lifelinebatteries.com).

Conditioning/Equalizing Charge: 15.5 volts for 8 hours
Conditioning/equalizing should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss. If conditioning/equalizing is necessary, first go through the normal charge cycle. Once the battery is as fully charged as possible, start the conditioning/equalizing charge.

For maximum battery life, a battery must be recharged to 100% capacity. Recharging to less than 100% may result in premature battery failure. Lifeline batteries are not covered under warranty if they are not recharged properly. For more information, please refer to our warranty policy.

Possibly there are some other specs that they didn't tell me. One thing the tech did say about a question I asked about involving taking my new battery down to like 9.4 volts one time by accident was that I probably wouldn't even be able to tell the battery was even damaged. He claimed the it would take repeat low voltage take downs to cause long term damage. I was happy to hear that even though the web site said different.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #23

What I have learned from our shop that handles battery servicing for all types is that while a LA battery will recover from discharge below 80%, every time you do that you are shortening its life. Its hard to predict of course how much it will be reduced because of the infinite variety of conditions and usage but its safe to say that a LA battery that is well treated maintenance, operating temp and load-wise that is discharged below 12.4V on as few as 3 occasions, will not last 5 years and possibly not even 4. For lots of other reason it might not get beyond some much shorter period but of course we know that.

Bottom line is that once we get past 4 years its money in the bank on the one hand and failure is imminent. Put another way if you have a 4 year old battery and you are going into the boonies without a jump start capability or with a diesel, replace the batteries !
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #24

I've recently installed this on my 250 Ah UPG house battery. It seems to be working.

http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12248

That is what I am using for "trickle" charging (it only goes up to 8 amps). So, I also need a charger to bring my house battery back to full charge after a significant discharge. My $2500 2500W Xantrex Prosine Inverter/Charger bit the dust, so I am looking for a good converter/battery charger only. I never want to have an inverter/charger again. I want each to be separate so that they can be replaced separately when one or the other dies.

I have installed one of these on my starting batteries and I have just ordered another so each will have there own separate tending/desulfation. I haven't figure out how to separate the starting batteries yet. But since I am planning on doing a 2" body lift (like a wheel chair van) I will have room to move the under hood battery to the homemade passenger frame rail box which holds my house battery and my frame rail starting battery now. (This was suggested to me by forum member MTDewX and I think is a good idea to move as much weight from higher off the body to lower onto the frame.)

http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=2012

In response to daveb's comments about maintenance charging AGM batteries, the 12248 above (which can be set to AGM) there is the dedicated BatteryMinder 2012-AGM unit below:

http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=2012-AGM

Everything I have read is that BatteryMinder is great at rejuvenating batteries by pulsed desulfation. So we shall see.

If any of you have concerns about the above approach or suggestions to make it better, please do not hesitate to post. I am really a slow learner, especially when it comes to electrical.
Attached Thumbnails
BatteryMinder 12248.jpg  
Attached Images

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #25

Question(s) from a person with limited vehicle knowledge...

If you don't want your starter battery to run down while the SMB is sitting for a long time, can't you just disconnect the (negative) battery cable--maybe have to reset your clock and radio stations afterwards?

Doesn't it hurt your tires to let the SMB sit for a long (don't know how long) time?
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9pb9
If you don't want your starter battery to run down while the SMB is sitting for a long time, can't you just connect the (negative) battery cable--maybe have to reset your clock and radio stations afterwards?
Repeated attaching and disconnecting the battery terminal from the post is not good for the battery terminal. You could install a Harbor Freight battery disconnect on the negative post I guess, but for us diesel guys, it is pretty hard to access the frame rail battery to disconnect it.

And disconnecting the battery does nothing to desulfate the battery which a BatteryMinder does apparently pretty well.

Quote:
Doesn't it hurt your tires to let the SMB sit for a long (don't know how long) time?
I don't know about the O.P., but letting my SMB sit for a long time hurts my soul.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #27

Garage

Quote:
If you plan to let your SMB sitting for many months, I would recommanded to over-inflate your tires about 5 PSI bellow max admissible pressure allowed for your tires (depends of tires). And don't forget to deflate them before driving again...
Important is also to protect tires from direct sunlight.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #28

Trickle charger for starter battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
My $2500 2500W Xantrex Prosine Inverter/Charger bit the dust, so I am looking for a good converter/battery charger only. I never want to have an inverter/charger again. I want each to be separate so that they can be replaced separately when one or the other dies.
Good point. When my converter/charger died last year I thought about putting in an inverter/charger but stayed with a converter/charger. Got one manufactured by WFCO. You can read about it on this thread, http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... fco#p84121. It has been in for a year and has been running fine.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Quote:
If you plan to let your SMB sitting for many months, I would recommanded to over-inflate your tires about 5 PSI bellow max admissible pressure allowed for your tires (depends of tires). And don't forget to deflate them before driving again...
Important is also to protect tires from direct sunlight.
Good advice BUT - have you weighed your SMB. Most on this site seem to come in at between * and 9.5K lbs. At these wights you should be running E load rated tires and they in turn should be inflated to Max Cold Pressure or 80 psi. So inflating them at any level below this presumes you are intending to run them unde inflated which is asking for trouble.

BTDT and I have two blow outs this year to prove it.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #30

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Good advice BUT - have you weighed your SMB. Most on this site seem to come in at between * and 9.5K lbs. At these wights you should be running E load rated tires and they in turn should be inflated to Max Cold Pressure or 80 psi. So inflating them at any level below this presumes you are intending to run them unde inflated which is asking for trouble.
My comment was of course to delflate them till right pressure corresponding to weight of each axle.

To remember inflation rules, please have a look at my thread here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...43&hilit=+tire.

You cannot just indicate "...should be inflated to Max Cold Pressure or 80 psi"! You always have to ajust pressure with effective weight and it depends of tire size, structure, etc... ;-)
For example, a Toyo 35x12.5 R 17 MT is rated 125Q. That indicates that each tire can resist to a weight of about 3'600 pounds at 99 mph (and of course at nominal pressure = at max pressure). If your van weighs about 9'500 pounds and you keep nominal pressure in all 4 tires, you will be much over inflated (4 x 3'600 = 14'400 pounds!) with all issues mentioned in my thread... Definitely not the right advice...