Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #61

LED Ropelights on Van Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by qreusjorj View Post
I just made custom projectors for my van. I made a how-to video with it. Check it out if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/1ZPmYssIN8k
Qreusjorj,

You're the man. You did (almost) exactly what I've been wanting to do on mine. I've been kind of hoping Redoval would start playing around with some of the switchback ropelights (hint hint redoval). Also like the look of the larger halos. They seem more proportionally apropriate to the housing. A couple questions on your mod:

Can you get smaller lanterns but with the same larger diameter halos? The lanterns seem kinda big.

Are the halos and ropelight set up to run as daytime running lights and the projectors as headlights?

Are the projectors bi-xenon or whatever so they'll do a high beam and low beam?

It looks like the projectors are kind of flashing at the beginning of the vid. Is that an optical illusion?

Did the new lights not require any kind of ballasts? It kind of looks you just soldered on the quick connectors and plugged them in.

Anyway, nice design. It definitely looks cool.

kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #62

rallypanam. I think I am about to order Truck-lite. Before I do. I have a few questions.
I have the old plastic lights.
If I buy new headlight bezels, what else do I need to install the truck-lites? Do I need the light buckets or will the mount in the existing ones?
Did you have to get any adapters/connections for the wiring or was it just plug and play? I saw there was an anti-flicker connector.
Thanks for the help
PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
rallypanam. I think I am about to order Truck-lite. Before I do. I have a few questions.
If I buy new headlight bezels, what else do I need to install the truck-lites? Do I need the light buckets or will the mount in the existing ones?
Did you have to get any adapters/connections for the wiring or was it just plug and play? I saw there was an anti-flicker connector.
Thanks for the help
Anything I can do to have you take a look at the Vantage Optics products? Feel free to shoot me a call to 424-250-0270 or email Vantageoptics@gmail.com with any questions you may have. Your setup can be run with either the sealed beam or composite headlight designs.

vantageoptics

Scott Thompson
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1779.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Thanks for the help
skyrat is the expert, he did exactly that.. but what you need is the front and rear light holders, as well as the springs, adjuster screws and the plastic surround. Easily sourced at a junkyard for a few bucks. Then it's plug and play, no wiring needed.

Pro Tip: Bring some WD40 or other penetrating oil to the junkyard for the adjuster screws, then use anti-seize when you install them.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #65

Sorry I didn't see this till much much later, I wasn't receiving email notifications about this thread. Anyway, I've done some road trips and been using the lights for some time now. Here's what I have learned from the experience.

1. They look cool
2. The angle is too far down, I have adjusted the whole unit up as much as I can go but it doesn't light forward enough.
3. Miss the high beams.
4. I installed a 20" LED light bar in the lower bumper space. Perfect spot and looks great and more than makes up for missing high beams, but you do NOT want any oncoming traffic. We used in Oregon after Christmas.
5. If I did it again I would forego all the fancy bi-xenon and ballasts and just get a 6000k bulb that fits stock. Ballasts tend to go out. I get the same focus with the projectors on the stock bulb.

Hope this update helps.

Can you get smaller lanterns but with the same larger diameter halos? The lanterns seem kinda big.
- I suppose you can do whatever you'd want so long as you can make the parts work together.

Are the halos and ropelight set up to run as daytime running lights and the projectors as headlights?
- Yes, The rope light also switches color to amber when turn signal is on.

- Yes but the high/low beam doesn't work.

It looks like the projectors are kind of flashing at the beginning of the vid. Is that an optical illusion? - All types of LED and modern ballasts flickr on camera. Naked eye doesn't see it.

Did the new lights not require any kind of ballasts? It kind of looks you just soldered on the quick connectors and plugged them in.
- Yes and no, The projectors can take the original bulbs. I had installed ballasts but one of them went bad already (murimoto) and I just plugged in the original bulb.

- Thanks!
qreusjorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #66

Just to clarify.. this review is about qreusjorj's own HID mods, not the TruckLite LEDs or Vantage Optic HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qreusjorj View Post
Sorry I didn't see this till much much later, I wasn't receiving email notifications about this thread. Anyway, I've done some road trips and been using the lights for some time now. Here's what I have learned from the experience.

1. They look cool
2. The angle is too far down, I have adjusted the whole unit up as much as I can go but it doesn't light forward enough.
3. Miss the high beams.
4. I installed a 20" LED light bar in the lower bumper space. Perfect spot and looks great and more than makes up for missing high beams, but you do NOT want any oncoming traffic. We used in Oregon after Christmas.
5. If I did it again I would forego all the fancy bi-xenon and ballasts and just get a 6000k bulb that fits stock. Ballasts tend to go out. I get the same focus with the projectors on the stock bulb.

Hope this update helps.

- I suppose you can do whatever you'd want so long as you can make the parts work together.

- Yes, The rope light also switches color to amber when turn signal is on.

- Yes but the high/low beam doesn't work.

It looks like the projectors are kind of flashing at the beginning of the vid. Is that an optical illusion? - All types of LED and modern ballasts flickr on camera. Naked eye doesn't see it.

- Yes and no, The projectors can take the original bulbs. I had installed ballasts but one of them went bad already (murimoto) and I just plugged in the original bulb.

- Thanks!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Just to clarify.. this review is about qreusjorj's own HID mods, not the TruckLite LEDs or Vantage Optic HIDs.
Thanks for the clarification Rally....that last post had me going for a bit thinking they were ones I supplied that didn't work properly!

For others interested, I can do custom headlight builds with components not listed on the vantageoptics website. Shoot me a message and we can work out the details.

Scott Thompson
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #68

On a related note: Now that the JW Speaker 8900 Evolution LED projectors have come WAY down in price (about $450 for a pair) has anyone given them a try?

I have a 7" round Truck Lite on one of my motorcycles and I couldn't complain for the price, the high beam is actually better than the JWS 8700, but the 8900's supposedly have 30% more output on high beam for only a few bucks more than the Truck Lite's.

My Hella E-codes with Cyclops LED's are just not cuttin' the mustard for me anymore and after seeing my buddy's top of the line Vantage HID projectors, I'm kinda itchin' for an upgrade.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #69

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
skyrat is the expert, he did exactly that.. but what you need is the front and rear light holders, as well as the springs, adjuster screws and the plastic surround. Easily sourced at a junkyard for a few bucks. Then it's plug and play, no wiring needed.

Pro Tip: Bring some WD40 or other penetrating oil to the junkyard for the adjuster screws, then use anti-seize when you install them.
rallypanam's thread starting post has the most info here...

Sorry for the late reply.
No expert, but did the conversion.
Get all the stuff you can for a sealed beam from the junkyard except the head lamps themselves. Much cheaper around here if you just get the hardware. The buckets, the bezels, all the screws and springs. Even the surrounds if they are in good shape.

I still had to buy an adapter to make the connector work from the aero connector to the sealed beam. I bought these for my application.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOVE THEM!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote