Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That's exactly what I would expect. Once you begin driving for a while, the benifit of the bigger alternator is probably a bit less.
That but also when idling and running the air compressor or winch. Not that I use it all that much but my guess is when using either one with the OEM alternator the batteries are still taking a hit.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Do you have enough experience to determine if it has shortened your recharge times? My guess is that it has or will.
I sure hope so. It's hard to say with the solar charging going on at the same time. I was actually more worried about overcharging. The Lifeline batteries I have don't really like higher voltages than other brands need. Several years back I installed a standard XP-270 and it was pushing too high of a voltage at the house batteries. So I installed a new XP-270 with a lower voltage regulator and let the solar or shore charger to top the batteries off. I was just worried about the lower voltage alternator and the engines higher voltage requirements. So now I have better control on the voltage output. It's only been in service for two weeks and I haven't tweaked it yet. I'm hoping for the regulator to top the batteries off at the correct voltage per what Lifeline told me. Even the old 270 was a huge improvement in bulk charging over Ford's largest model that was able to fit in my 6.0 engine.

More on topic, I'd want the biggest stock charging system the manufacture offers if there is some issue with voiding a warranty. You can always upgrade to something different later down the road.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I finally got around to installing a XP-270 alternator with a Balmar MC-612
regulator on my Ford. Don't know if a sprinter can use something like it...probably not in regard to the warranty but might be worth looking into.
The Sprinter comes with a 220a alternator and there is a factory option to add a second alternator. MB supplies the bracket, but it's up to the up fitter to install the alternator and belt. SMB uses a 280a alternator as the 2nd unit.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
The Sprinter comes with a 220a alternator and there is a factory option to add a second alternator. MB supplies the bracket, but it's up to the up fitter to install the alternator and belt. SMB uses a 280a alternator as the 2nd unit.
The alternator needed some slight modification (to my Ford's aftermarket XP-270) to accept the Bal-Mar from what I was told when I sent mine in to be repaired. I'd think they would have a solution for what they use in the Sprinter but never researched it. Anyway it's kind of an expensive addition.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #25

Indeed. It's $400 for the factory bracket and abut $2500 for alternator, belt, and installation. But - with an adjustable high-idle option from the factory, I can see the long-term value if you really needed the wattage. But, I think we'd rather save the money and put it into lithium, which I've started another thread for.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote