Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #21

Re: What is the latest on Solar Panels?

I don't pretend to actually understand solar panel technology. everybody seems to have a different opinion.
I would hope sportsmobile understand all this stuff if they switched to the 185 model.

gerry

Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Yep, after I looked at the 185's specs, it does look like it's a typical grid tie panel and won't work with the solar boost 2000E. You'd have to go with a different controller. So it looks like the 135's are about it from that manufacture. I wonder what SMB is using? Maybe a Morningstar or similar controller.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #23

solar-electric.com in its description says it cannot handle kyocera 210 and above.

by this i guess it implies it can handle 185. ?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #24

From John K:
Quote:
It sounds like one mounted to the top is the best route because your storage areas are so small. Here is a link to a heavy duty Kyocera panel that would work for you; http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products. ... X-UPU.html

It's usually best to mount the panel(s) to Yakima or Thule cross bars on a standard rack so you can get adequate airflow under them to maximize efficiency. Two of these panels side by side is just under 53". As you mentioned, you do want to make sure the mounting holes are outside of the canvas, and still sealed because water can migrate through the folded canvas when the top is down. It sounds like one of these panels is enough for your needs.
So for Kyocera mounting options it looks like:
LP = frame depth 1.4"
UPU = 1.8" deep frame allows end mounting (50 lb/sqft)
LPU = 1.8" deep frame allows end mounting (50 lb/sqft) - cheaper than UPU?
LFBS = frame has a stabilizer bar that mounts across the back of the panel

There is also the notation:
SX =
GX =

Connections:
Junction Box =
MC4 and Cable = marine connector and cable (cut extra cable for prewire ends)

Confused as ever and now I'm freaking out about mounting, frankly- the idea of putting holes in my PH is anathema to me...
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #25

another question for somebody. solar boost 2000e is not a 3 stage charger for agm batteries. it successors are. i am getting more confused. does the solar boost take care of your agm's.

gerry
Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
From John K:
Quote:
It sounds like one mounted to the top is the best route because your storage areas are so small. Here is a link to a heavy duty Kyocera panel that would work for you; http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products. ... X-UPU.html

It's usually best to mount the panel(s) to Yakima or Thule cross bars on a standard rack so you can get adequate airflow under them to maximize efficiency. Two of these panels side by side is just under 53". As you mentioned, you do want to make sure the mounting holes are outside of the canvas, and still sealed because water can migrate through the folded canvas when the top is down. It sounds like one of these panels is enough for your needs.
So for Kyocera mounting options it looks like:
LP = frame depth 1.4"
UPU = 1.8" deep frame allows end mounting (50 lb/sqft)
LPU = 1.8" deep frame allows end mounting (50 lb/sqft) - cheaper than UPU?
LFBS = frame has a stabilizer bar that mounts across the back of the panel

There is also the notation:
SX =
GX =

Connections:
Junction Box =
MC4 and Cable = marine connector and cable (cut extra cable for prewire ends)

Confused as ever and now I'm freaking out about mounting, frankly- the idea of putting holes in my PH is anathema to me...
You need some pics how mine is mounted? Why not make a bracket that mounts from the side rather than going through the roof top. Then use the mounts that can be purchased for the panel?
http://www.solar-electric.com/rvflmoforkc.html
Installation PDF

Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
another question for somebody. solar boost 2000e is not a 3 stage charger for agm batteries. it successors are. i am getting more confused. does the solar boost take care of your agm's.

gerry
The way I understand it is the float charge keeps the batteries in good health. The bulk charge from the solar is not like a 3 stage charger that can throw heavy amps at the battery. As long as the float voltage is adjusted to the proper voltage that the battery requires, you'll be OK. I switched back to Lifeline batteries and those require a lower voltage around 13.4 or close. I have yet to adjust my new controller to that voltage and am at 13.8 which is a little high. As far as panel voltage, you just need to look at the specs to see if it is compatable with the controller you are using. The majority of panels out there are for idle grid type situations and produce higher voltages that require controllers specific to higher voltages. I've seen some arrays that typically reach 480V. I haven't researched RV panels much and went with what SMB has used. Kyocera is big in the RV world but there are others out there...I just have never really looked hard. I do know the Kyocera 135 like I have is more or less made for RV use and is warranteed as such. So far from what I've seen on this site is, that those with super arrays on their van, most have had to use a different controller than the Solar Boost 2000E. Also the folks that have actually installed their own systems know a lot more about it than me and that's a fact.
Dave

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Mine's mounted with 3M double-sided tape. It's been rock solid, and the only hole I needed to put in the top was for the wire, which went through at the front corner, well outside and away from the canvas. Let me know if you want to go that route and need more info.

No need to re-invent the wheel if you don't want to, regarding which panel The 135W works well for most of us who have solar, fits the top well, and is well within your controller's limits. If you need more power, get two!

(Mine is a KD135GX-LP if you're not sure which is which. It has the MC4 connectors and can be mounted from the ends. I'm sure the others would be fine, too.)

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Site Team

The front of my solar panel is mounted through the PH top (with some standoffs IIRC), and the rear of the solar panel is mounted to the Thule mounts that are on the PH rails.

Not sure I'll have time to take pics anytime soon.

Herb
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #30

Mjeffrey / others,
Does your wiring for the solar sneak under the top mount of the canvas (between PH top and canvas) or the bottom where it is mounted to the van?

Also, what kind of coverage does the 3M tape get? I'm assuming the panel is located such that you get 100% of the longitudinal runs of the panel mounted and there might just be a few transverse gaps under the grooves in the top on the front and back panel edges?

I might use the 3M tape in conjuction with a bracket or two off of the existing penthouse support bolts just for piece of mind. Even a little safety wire would probably be all I needed to sleep at night.