Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Where to connect spotlight to 12V starter battery?

Hi all,

I'm installing an Unity spotlight on my E350 EB V10 rig on the driver side A-pillar and don't know where to make the power connection.

The rear A/C was removed from my rig, so we've got the rear A/C control knob on the dash I suspect there are still wires connected to the 12V supply and wired into the fusebox. That might be the easiest option.

I've also found some spare wires in the engine compartment that seem to be factory installed and ready for use. See pictures below.

Thanks for helping out a Ford electrical newbie.

handjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

Re: Where to connect spotlight to 12V starter battery?

Down in the driver foot well you'll find the trailer controller harness. That's got a 60amp supply once you add the relay in the fusebox, that would be your best option considering the power a light like that takes.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

There is also a dedicated aftermarket power supply around the steering column, and has a round 4-pin plug. This is a 40-amp circuit, and is powered by the aux battery circuit if you have it. There is another 40-amp connected in the B-pillar.

The blunt-cut wires you found are for a PTO.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

handjam, which wire did you end up using to power your spotlight?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

I also installed one of these Unity post-mount spotlights. It hit me the other day that this would be perfect for shining down side-roads when looking for a late-night forest road camping spot!

I ordered this black Unity spotlight from magnalight.com.

The included instructions contained a useful drill-hole template, but otherwise they were very confusing. The same instructions are used for all Unity's spotlight variants, so they end up being unneededly complicated. I ended up basically winging it -- it wasn't too difficult to figure out how to adjust the spotlight.

Overall, installation wasn't too bad. The worst part was psyching myself up to drill a big hole into my van! Get the longest 1/2" drill bit you can find.

I painted the outside chrome bits flat black. The end result:

The quality of my Unity spotlight wasn't great. The light enclosure is plastic rather than metal -- we'll see over time how this stands up to my abuse. Defects I encountered include:
  • The plastic was cracked where a rivet on the bottom of the light enclosure seems to have been installed too tightly.[/*:m:9k7vu00p]
  • The chrome was had a half-inch chip missing. This wasn't a big deal to me, since I painted it black anyway.[/*:m:9k7vu00p]
  • The on/off switch wouldn't stay switched off until I took it apart and fiddled with the contacts.[/*:m:9k7vu00p]
  • [edit: 8/2012] After 4 months of use, the outside gasket looks heavily cracked and weathered.[/*:m:9k7vu00p]

I still haven't figured out yet where to wire this up for 12V power, but I tested it by putting the wire into my cigarette lighter.

Many years ago I had a 1980 Plymouth Gran Fury with this type of spotlight -- fun to have one again!

-- Geoff
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I think those light are better looking than the go lights and add a kinda official look to your van. I’d like to add a couple of the smaller versions to my van as well. I've used those on vehicles over the past 40 years and the main problem was how close to the steering wheel some of the handles were. Sometimes you can whack your hand in a frantic turn.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote