Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Wiring in a second house battery

I am looking into adding a second house battery to my system. Not knowing much about electrical system I want to know if installing the battery as shown in the attached diagram will work. My plan is that both house batteries will be the same size. This diagram puts the in parallel so they should see the same discharge rate. The isolator is a Sure Power Isolator Model 952 rated for up to 95 amps. I do not have an inverter, just the on board charger when plugged into 120V and a fuse panel. Alternate solutions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Wiring in a second house battery

I wouldn't use the body ground, but that's just my opinion. Even though SMB does not install fuses between the batteries, a couple of high amp fuses might be a good idea. [edit] You could add a separtor or automatic charge relay. And as far as Surepower goes beware of the problems they have had with some of thier separators:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/inde ... a358afddf5

Although some have had no problems with these, I sure did. BTW the recall is not on the 200A series but I still had the same problems other than a fire issue.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

I have a few questions about your diagram:

1. What's the second shunt next to "House Battery 1" for?

2. Is your house panel really wired to your starter battery at the isolator? This could drain your starter battery quickly.

3. Is there a second negative wire from your battery to your house panel? Or, is everything grounded through the chassis?
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Sorry just noticed It's an isolator and I don't really like them. SMB quit using them because of problems they had. Still it should work. As long as charge current stays below 90 amps, it should be fine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Larrie,

So the easiest way to add the battery in parallel would be o go off of the first existing battery, positive to positive of the second battery, and then ground of first battery to the ground of the second battery.

So in general your diagram works, although I also would have similar questions about house panel, and what the Shunts are? But I assume it is a working system, and you diagram just needs to be corrected.

Also, I'm not to far up the road if you needed a second pair of eyes on it.

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

That is exactly how my 2nd battery is wired - in parallel with the first.

One caveat, both batteries should be the same age and condition. If one is weaker, it will pull down the stronger battery - the stronger one will not make the weak one better. The usual suggestion is to replace both batteries, not add one new one.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanturetrek
I have a few questions about your diagram:

1. What's the second shunt next to "House Battery 1" for?

2. Is your house panel really wired to your starter battery at the isolator? This could drain your starter battery quickly.

3. Is there a second negative wire from your battery to your house panel? Or, is everything grounded through the chassis?
Good questions.
1. I have no idea. This is the way they wired them in 1989.
2. Reading through the isolator literature the the isolator apparently separates the house side from the starter battery when the engine is turned off.
3. Everything is grounded through the chassis. Will probably change this when I install the second battery.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. Sounds like my plan is sound but should make some changes to the existing system, ground house battery directly to power panel and replace the isolator, prior to implementation. I definitely do not want to mess this up and start a fire.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Larrie, i'm late on this one but if you need more info, i learned a TON about RV/automotive wiring pertaining to adding and managing power on the Open Roads Forum. Also called Woodall's Open Roads Forum. Lots of wise old engineer full-time RV guys over there that have tried it all. It's a great place to learn more about solar than you ever wanted to know as well. Just beware of the overly opinionated pricks, as on every forum i guess.
I have a description of my setup on my build thread as well (which you've seen, but i'm not sure how far i had gotten when you last read it).

Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Wiring in a second house battery

Eric

Thank for the tip on the open road forum. Will check it out.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse