Old 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Wiring solar on a penthouse top

I'm in the planning stages of installing a 100w panel on the front portion of my penthouse top. Looking for advice on the best way to route the cabling through the top. Is it best to punch a hole directly into the interior (i.e. inside the canvas)? Or is it better to enter outside the canvas on the edge of the top and then route the cable to the inside? How does SMB do it?

Also, what fittings, if any, are recommended to avoid leaks and make a clean install? I've had good luck with a Blue Sea cable clam but am open to suggestions.

Photos of your install encouraged.

TIA

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

I would not go directly into the top. That is what SMB did on one of my vans. The holes were filled with silicone which leaked and the top delaminated. Water leaked all inside the head liner and everywhere else.

I would go outside the canvas with clamshells then route it under the canvas back into the van.

Rob

Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

I fabricated a custom bulkhead and penetrated the PH top outside the canvas then fed the solar wires between the canvas and the underside of the top to bring them inside.

That way if the penetration leaks the leak is outside the canvas.....I've had zero issues and it's been a couple years.
2006 Honda CRF 250X
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I fabricated a custom bulkhead and penetrated the PH top outside the canvas then fed the solar wires between the canvas and the underside of the top to bring them inside.

That way if the penetration leaks the leak is outside the canvas.....I've had zero issues and it's been a couple years.
Boywonder you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your installation by chance.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Just my own $0.02 worth but the BlueSea cable clams in any of their variations are about as good a cable run sealer as I've ever seen.

I do augment their natural sealing capability with a dab of RTV but honestly that's a bit of overkill.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote