Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #1

Xantrex Pro Sine

I am having a problem with this inverter. It is mounted under the gaucho and I have consistently gotten "internal Temp too high" errors. When this happens, the inverter shuts down and of course so do all of my 110 only outlets and the charger for my house batteries.

So far I have added a 6 X 9 vent. The first time it got hot, the inverter shut down and got same error. I have added a 6 inch personal fan between the inverter and the vent but am afraid to run it all of the time. I suppose I will have to rig up some kind of temperature On/Off switch.

It just seems odd to me that Sportsmobile would mount this inverter in this place if they knew there would be temperature problems. It would be a bear to move now.

Has anyone else run into this Problem?

Michael

ibthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We just replaced our Xantrex RS2000 with a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 (2000) ...which is another story...

We have two of the standard multi-purpose louvered vents in the gaucho front wall to vent. Both the Prosine and RS2000 have their own fan. It may not total 6x9.

In the month of June we have had only 7 or 8 days that did not hit 100 degrees.

We have not seen an over heating problem with either inverter.
...and in testing the two inverters we have run them quite a bit.

Are you hearing the inverter fan running??
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #3

The inverter fan runs. I had this long response from xantrex saying I need to hard reset the whole system. They said to disable the charger from the control panel and then to disconnect the AC input and disconnect the DC +ve cable (whatever that is, I presume they mean the positive DC cable) and let set for 30 minutes. Then connect the AC input and wait 5 minutes and then reconnect the DC +ve cable. I presume I do all this while I am not hooked to shore power but have asked for clarification on this point. If you are not hooked to shore power, why wait for 5 minutes after you reconnect the AC input? I am not very mechanically inclined and think this is a stupid way to have to fix this thing! This inverter has done this since I first got it. Origionally it did it only when running the Air Conditioner on shore power. Now it apparently has decided to do it if it just gets hot outside with nothing running!

Michael
Old 06-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
AEJ

Ibethebest,

I have the same inverter and am currently experiencing problems. I was instructed to follow the same hard reset. The only difference was that I should wait 1 hr after disconnecting all power, and then I was to reattach the battery power first. Then I was told to turn off the inverter switch on the inverter and to turn it back on after 30 seconds. At that point I was told to enable the inverter at the remote panel. If this worked I was told to add shore power and enable the charger at the remote panel. There are differences between what you and I were told. I don't know which is correct.

My problem is I haven't been able to disconnect the battery from the inverter. I talked to SMBW and they told me to remove the heaviest guage wire from the grounding block attached to the rear wheel well under the rear bench seat in a "50". There were 2 heavy guage wires there so I removed both but the inverter remote display still had power. I have not been able to talk to anyone at SMB again so I remain without an inverter/charger.

I intend to take a couple of pics and post them by the end of the weekend so possibly someone would be able to help. One factor making this difficult is that I have 2 heater hoses snaked through the inverter enclosure that make it difficult to see what's what. I guess I'll have to unhook them.

Al
Old 06-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
We had that same inverter on our last boat. It was such a pain in the ass that we finally tore it out and threw it in the dumpster. we replaced it with something called a Magnum and never had another problem. By the way, be careful when working on those wires! Xantrex told me that the inverter could still zap you even after being unhooked. I'm not sure how, but I didn't lick any bare wires to find out!
We did that unhook, wait an hour, hook-up drill about fifty times and never got any joy from that nonsense. I have never dealt with a company that seemed to have less concern for their customers than
Xantrex.
Bill
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to know that it isn't just mine that is a problem.

I don't understand why Sportsmobile continues to offer this item. I had mine installed in Indiana in 2003 and they said it was the first one they had ever installed. I think they installed it O.K.; it's probably just too finicky a product to install in our type of vehicles. Xantrex virtually offers no support! I would like to take it to somewhere here in the Midwest to have it worked on but have yet to find an RV or boat dealer who knows anything about them. If I replace it, it will be one at an RV dealer who sells and services what they sell.

Michael
Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We are very happy with our Prosine 2.0, but I am willing to be it is quite different from one installed in 2003.

We started with an RS2000 (also Xantrex) and it was exactly "too finicky" and would not switch in power share mode appropriately. The Prosine has worked flawlessly.

SMB Tx spent hours and hours on the phone with Xantrex Tech support when we were trying to determine the problem with the RS2000.

We all (SMB, me, and Xantrex) think the RS should be doing what we needed it to and what it is suposed to do, but it just wasn't. The Prosine is.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
I had several strange codes with my prosine 2000 also. The display is the brains of this thing and once replaced it has worked great. I also found that it was installed with pressure pulling on the RS-232 port. Make sure there is nothing pulling on the wires that connect the display to the inverter. Like a phone jack, it could help to plug and unplug it from time to time as corrosion can happen anytime. If I were to do it all over again the thing would be mounted in an easy accessible spot and a smaller backup inverter on board for emergency.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote